Level 2
20 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

freeze up and crash

6230f Pavilion destop HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

consistently crashes with MS Defender offline scan, or when any program (AOMEI e.g.) has tick for "close down when finished working", or when I shut  down when the WIFI is off;

is the only action acceptable is to never let a program automatically close, not use  the Defender offline scan and never shut down with the wifi off?

OR: is there something wierd going on that needs rooting out?

thanks/cheers donp

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

freeze up and crash

Hi

Will try to assist you.

Welcome to the forum.

HP does not provide Windows 10 support for PC's manufactured prior to late 2013. The Windows 10 Fall Creator's update introduces additional troubleshooting complexity.

Can't locate your product using Pavilion 6230f. Can't review your PC's specifications.

My interpretation of a Windows Defender offline scan is when you boot to a CD/DVD or USB stick to run Windows Defender outside of the Windows operating system.

Please provide more information what crashing means.

Is your PC blue screening, or rebooting, or becoming unresponsive while running Windows 10?

Blue screen error messages or rebooting usually result from system file errors, or hardware driver errors, or impending hardware failure.

Run a system file check.

Run HP system diagnostics.

Sorry I cannot provide more assistance at this time.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
20 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

freeze up and crash

Hi Thanks. Originally sold as 6540f Pavilion desktop and apparently built in 2009. Reclassified as 6230f by HP when scanned and registered by HP on this site.

The crash is a straight out failure to reboot, simply freezes up in the process of booting up after it crashes.

I know that the so-called Creator's update will kill this win 10 and all I have in response is to go back to win 7 - the machine will then be little more than a hard drive for files etc.

cheers donp

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation