Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 8envy 1445
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

How change HDD C to D and D to C

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Hi, I am looking at your PC's specs and I see a 16 GB SATA SSD and a 2 TB platter HDD.

What's going on?

The 16 GB SATA disk caching drive is normally hidden in Windows Explorer. So the "C" drive should be the 2 TB HDD. Windows is installed on this 2 TB drive.

The "D drive is normally the HP Recovery drive.

Why do you want to swap drive letters?

Regards

HP Recommended

@Manue

Welcome to HP Forums,  

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

To get the answer to this question, You can't change that from D to C drive while that OS is running.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Ok Mr Professor, thank you for taking your time answering me. My computer case is that I had to install a 2tb hard drive, the original, because the other one I destroyed a virus and when I installed it I was careful to check well the cables and are well installed, the 16 GB that is the slave with the CD \ DVD and the teacher alone. When I turn on the computer, in position 1, that is, "C" is the slave disk and in position 2, that is, "D" is the master. I need to move the "D" to where the "C" and "C" are to where the "D" is as it was originally, so I'm asking for help on how to move Hard drive "C" for where "D" and vice versa. Once again very grateful for your answer and many thanks in advance for the answer you can give me to solve this problem that I have not been able to find on any side. Thanks and regards. Manuel.
HP Recommended

Hi Manue,

You're very welcome.

Did you use HP Recovery software to reinstall the operating system on the new HDD? It sounds like you may not have done this if the 16 GB SATA SSD is visible in Windows Explorer.

You need to install the HP provided Condusiv ExpressCache application (Link) to get the 16 GB cache disk working as HP intended.

It is not possible to change drive letters (as Echo_Lake stated) within Windows because the operating system drive is locked.

You may be stuck with the "D" drive issue until you reinstall Windows using HP Recovery media or, the condusiv ExpressCache update may fix this problem. Try this update. Then reboot Windows to see what happens.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Manue,

I forgot to add that changing operating system drive pointers will also cause havoc with every program you have installed on your PC.

You may want to start from scratch using HP factory recovery media.

Back up data before proceeding.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.