Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do i exclude USB external disk from boot block search

HP Compaq 6305
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The system works fine until I connect an external disk using USB the system will not boot. The USB external drive works fine, I am able to read and manipulate all files etc. But if I attempt to boot the system with the USB drive connected . It gives the following and will not boot.

info unexpected I/O error has occurred    

File  \Boot\BCD

status 0xc00000e9

Unplug the drive from the USB and it works great again. How do I exclude the search for a boot block on the external USB connected drive? Or is that the problem?  

The system is not set for UEFI and I have tried to remove the USB from the BIOS boot sequence but clearly I am missing something.

I moved the external drive from an older Windows system if that is of any consequence.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do i exclude USB external disk from boot block search

>  I have tried to remove the USB from the BIOS boot sequence but clearly I am missing something.

I agree.

In the BIOS, the boot-sequence may have separate options for booting from a USB device (such as a memory-stick) versus booting from a USB-connected external disk-drive.

Also, the "boot priority" may list "groups", namely disk-drives, or optical drives, or removable drives, as separate groups.

If it does, open the "disk-drive" group, to see if the external disk-drive is listed in that group.

If it is, remove it, or re-order the priority of devices within that group, to move your internal disk-drive to the top of the group.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation