Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p6 pavilion desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I wondered if you could help me:

I have a HP P6 pavilion desktop about 5 years now, good PC but out of warranty

Suddenly last night it went black screen/ i did a reboot and now just the blue hp logo

it says at bottom the usual esc to start menu

but the esc does not work/ the keyboard cap shift light inactive so keyboard out

it does not go to next boot stage

i tried rebooting with F8, F10, ESC everythingg

disconnected hard drive and tried reboot nothing

put in w8 OS disk into cd drive to reboot it, 

all options just lead to the same start screen

i heard a little fan sound a few times yesteerday, just have no idea if it is a hardware issue or what

so panicked

can you help

(note i have not added any software or hardware in months)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

what is a p6,  we need the full model number not just the first 2 digits.

read your service tag it clearly shows, p6-nnnnnnn

see why? look here. vast P6s  exist. (and more)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/products/desktops/pavilion-desktops

ill do all steps, just in case.

hit esc key text is ok,  so skip to.. JUMP 1

you turn on the PC, and monitor.

and the monitor button on front works ,right?  shows a OSD menu from the monitor brain.

then you.

Jump1:

turn on pc, and the fans run and the fans are not packed in line as all do every year for 5 years, all mine do.

the DVD try ejects on command right?

if , no and no, then the PSU is dead. or fans dead. the CPU fan must work and not be lint blocked or the CPU WILL OVERHEAT.

not might  , WILL.

and when that happens the CPU shuts its self down (Intel or  AMD magic all that)

ok the ESC key is dead. (but not the PROMPT FOR IT)

that means the PC dead but the messages works, so how can BIOS be dead if it can do text.

smacks of bad keyboard to me.

is this a silly wireless keyboard with a dead battery?  use a real USB keyboard and try all USB jacks. for sure.

its only silly cuz folks dont know the battery inside goes dead.  (and other complex wireless keyboard issues)

use a real USB keyboard for now, WIRED.

the ESC key is "A" #1 must work thing, it must work, or the CPU is dead ,PSU, or RAM bad.

For BIOS to process ,Mr, Van Neuman (wiki him) must be alive. (core computer parts) on the mobo.

PSU power good

CPU not overheating.

RAm good, remove all but 1, test one at a time by them selves....

GPU issues, I say NOT. text works. so can BIOS.

other things that can happen,  in all electroncs, called shorts, some things ,  any thing can short and overload

a power rail.  I unplug the dvd and hdd /ssd next.  (this kills F11 features but we are not there yet) just ESC only

see that MOBO see all wires to it see the big wires, (not PSU to mobo) but other heavy wires can be a thing shorted.

i must be vague there , i can see what as added to any DESTOP and the possibles are endless... mine has vast things added.  (1ssd, 3 HDD, BR-d burner.  full 16gb ram.  super fast Nvidia, GFX card. and more...)

so whats in yours , ive no clues.

photos work  here.

its not bad monitor

the VGA card /chip is working

there is some processing (text)

I rule (wild useless guessing with no full P6 model stated)

bad KEYBOARD.

I say barrow a real USB keyboard,  (wired)

cheers.

The bios is just a rom with software in silicon,  pure EEPROM flash ROM. pure machine code, no HDD needed, code.

it always  runs, if power is good, and Mr Van Nueman not out to lunch. (powerok,cpu,ram/gpu ok)

and this comment if you ever get ESC screens and F9 to work (my F9 can boot to 5 + things, can yours?>)

F11 is far more complex.  it .needs HDD to do anything beyond a BSOD  (im no expert on F11 HP code at all)

but my guess is F11 is is just  GUID jump to the HP_recovery files.  as seen here

http://pcdied.com/W7-FMT.JPG

HP has a cute feature that i only know, little and is a failed boot, will automatically go to recover mode,  I dont like it but it is what you have.... best is to post yours screens so helpers dont have to guess. whats there EXACTLY.

w10 has like 40 BIOD screens now. add in F11 more.

if the systems been slammed, it will fail F11 actions for ever.

http://www.pcdied.com/XP-sux-sg.html#slammed

slammed means , the bad-guy,,, (see RED2 movie and Richard Dryfes.! funny!) killed HP partitions dead. 

no fingers pointed, ever.

hint 2: DO NOT FLASH YOUR BIOS< DO NOT..! steal your self..... and win.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

so guess 2..

the fans are all packed in lent.

for sure 3 years old.!

we do service on our pc's, every year, ,  mine and wifes.

in fact my pC,(custom) here has plastic window on the side, that i can see the CPU fan 24/7

every year it's full of lent , a hopeless thing that,,, and will be worse parked on any floor. (and faster to pack)

mines 3 foot high, no pets,

the heat sink is below the fan.

see that?see all those, fins packed solid in lent,?

that means the heatsink is near useless. now. The CPU hates that,  and runs slower then stops.

clean it is best. 

in fact i take mine outside every year, and blast it with 30psi air, I have shop air.

but CAN-O -AIR works too.

all fans, PSU , CPU and my fast GPU GTX-650 (mine has a fan top of GPU too)  if not cleaned it too overheats FAST.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.