Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slim Desktop 290-0056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop shuts down randomly without warning. It won't power up until I reconnect the power cord. I thought it might be a power cord problem but I switched the power cord the problem persists. I just run all the tests on the extensive system test on the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI and it passed all of them. I suspect it is a power supply issue? Any suggestions? I am also having a hard time finding the right replacement SUP, recommendations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Troubleshooting is going to take some time if this problem happens once a week.

A barebones config to test stability would be to run the PC with only a monitor connected. 

Then disconnect, one at a time, the HDD, the DVD, and front panel USB devices (USB 2.0, 3.x, and card reader). Test stability in each scenario. You could have a faulty stick of RAM. The motherboard (MB) could be failing.

Eliminating the unexpected shutdowns suggests the last component removed from the equation should be the cause. You work your way to the MB.

Do you clean the insides? Excessive dust buildup on internal components can cause intermittent shorts. Heat can also cause sporadic shutdowns.

Intermittent problems are very hard to diagnose. Ask any auto technician.

The power supply could be failing.

You have to troubleshoot one component at a time until the problem stops happening.

This does not sound like a Windows problem but you never know.

Try a clean installation of Windows on a different HDD or SSD to check stability.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

A power supply problem or a short circuit which triggers the power supply to shut down. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power cord resets the PSU until the problem recurs.

Possible causes:

Power supply

Motherboard,

MB component,

Peripheral or associated port

Test the PC using a barebones configuration.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply! Could you be more specific or point me to resources about how to conduct a barebone troubleshoot? 

My desktop does not shuts down every time I use it. It works fine most of the time, but maybe once a week it will shuts down on itself, so I am having a hard time reproducing the faulty behaviour.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

Troubleshooting is going to take some time if this problem happens once a week.

A barebones config to test stability would be to run the PC with only a monitor connected. 

Then disconnect, one at a time, the HDD, the DVD, and front panel USB devices (USB 2.0, 3.x, and card reader). Test stability in each scenario. You could have a faulty stick of RAM. The motherboard (MB) could be failing.

Eliminating the unexpected shutdowns suggests the last component removed from the equation should be the cause. You work your way to the MB.

Do you clean the insides? Excessive dust buildup on internal components can cause intermittent shorts. Heat can also cause sporadic shutdowns.

Intermittent problems are very hard to diagnose. Ask any auto technician.

The power supply could be failing.

You have to troubleshoot one component at a time until the problem stops happening.

This does not sound like a Windows problem but you never know.

Try a clean installation of Windows on a different HDD or SSD to check stability.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.