Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
Sicurtelsrl Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m.2 ssd on hp z240 tower

Hello, i just bought an hp z240 workstation (tower format).

I'm trying to configure a transcend m.2 30GB drive. After installing it on the dedicate m.2 slot on the motherboard i can't see it in the bios and even in windows 7.

the first drive is connected on sata0 (original 1tb hdd with win 7 installed on it)

On bios settings the m.2 slot is enabled.

any suggestion?

Thank you

2 REPLIES
Tony-TL Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m.2 ssd on hp z240 tower

I have a samsung PM951 256GB m.2 Nvme ssd, it's not detected by BIOS as well, don't know why...

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
3549 336 712
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

m.2 ssd on hp z240 tower

Hi Sicurteisri

The Transcend drive is a SATA drive?

Did you check whether the m.2 slot is set to SATA or PCIe 3x4.

Also, some motherboards that can run SATA or PCIE mode will disable SATA0 connection when you run an m.2 drive using SATA instead of PCIe 3x4. You have Windows 7 on SATA0. This may mean you will get a "No Boot Device" error when you get the m.2 SATA stick going.  You might have to move Windows 7 to SATA1. I am fuzzy on the next thought but moving Win 7 to SATA1 could mess with the GPT. You may have to modify the EFI Boot Partition if you have to move Windows to SATA1.

Windows will never see the drive if the drive is not detected in the BIOS.

Grzy

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation