Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp pavilion tp01-1023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

this pc has one SSD of 256GB only

So, need to add a harddisk, I want the harddisk can boot as an option

but there is no sata in the bios boot list, how to add sata in the boot list? 

Otherwise it will never boot from the harddisk

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@matt_2021 

You will not see the second "drive" as a boot option until you have installed Windows to it.  That will automatically make that drive bootable and then when you reboot, since you now have more than one OS instance on the PC, you should get an OS selection menu for the two OS installations.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

thanks for the reply

I still have some problems to solve:

(1) what happens if the harddisk has ubuntu20.04 in it?  Since you think windows10 can work, Ubuntu should work too, right?

(2) the disk has Ubuntu on it already. No need to install new Ubuntu. 

but the bios only boot to windows 10., I don't know why it doesn't boot to ubuntu..

In such case, I don't know how to change the booting order in the bios setup

HP Recommended

@matt_2021 

Linux distros and Windows have totally different boot settings -- so one has nothing at all to do with the other. You generally install Windows first and Linux second because Linux can "see" the Windows install and add boot entries for it -- but not the other way around.

Problem is, we don't provide Linux support here, so you would have to hunt down a Linux forum if you want to modify the Linux loader to include Windows.

To enter BIOS settings,  you generally press the F10 key repeatedly while rebooting.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

hi

I know how to setup bios booting order

the problem is there is no sata in the booting list.

do you know why there is no sata in the booting list?

HP Recommended

ok

I actually have another windows10 harddisk, but it has some content in it.

So I can't erase and reinstall windows.

In such case, how to do the dual boot?  both SSD and harddisk are used and each OS is windows10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.