Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15 en0012ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to enquire about mbr boot support for my omen 15. I am aware that mbr recovery is a business feature, but that's not what I'm after. All I want is a straight answer from somebody: does omen 15 support mbr booting as well as gpt?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

or post to laptops, not here.

as

Is my Omen 15 en0012ax,  laptop , UEFI CLASS 3 , restricted to GPT boot drives only.

many are, now 2020 is the dead line official year for CLASS 3, so says the wiki on topic

what HP did in your BIOS IDK,   F.07 Rev.A (no spec I can find here, just F07) zip.

Class 3:UEFI without CSM ! is the rule if HP , did it. ( I sure do not know but  you sure can look and do 1 simple test)

mr kirby said.

CSM -Compatibility Support Module.* ((Compatibility for OS Using MBR - Master Boot Record eg : Windows XP, Windows 7))

So Class 3 UEFI does not come with Legacy BIOS options, Only Class 2 UEFI Support both UEFI and Legacy BIOS with Compatibility Mode, When Turned on this option in firmware interface.

So only x64 based Operating Systems can be installed on Class 3 UEFI computer. And Windows 7 and Previous operating system's driver base architecture is not at all Compatible with class 3 UEFI hardware.

and may reject non oEM GPU cards.

the best report on Class 3 is here,

https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/Brian_Richardson_Intel_Final.pdf

keep in mind if intels driver block you out, there IS NO OTHER PATH (AMD?) no driver NO BOOTS.

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Posted Laptop to Desktop. first in general.

you can test this by your self. sure can ,using any blank SSD or HDD, even used good drive, blank.

also your question is pure BIOS (UEFI) and was we all know has many version that no OEM specs out.

most PCs not made 2020 Class III UEFI.

have these choices,  (class II UEFI) or lower.

1: TPM turned off right?

2: legacy on or just turn off secure boot and fast startup. bingo MBR is allowed.

the real trick is w10 installer, it never ask this, it is what I call stealth installer,

keep in mind the HDD is 100% erased so the OS installer has  no idea your Intentions.

if the BIOS is set to legacy it installs to MBR mode, (secure boot is off so IT MUST)

same with the ISO  32/64bit all  in one install it sees 64bit is supported and loads 64bit OS. ( not asking you )

secure boot is w8 up deal, is your PC pre w8?

OK read your LAPTOP PC data sheet and is new

so your question is more easy , it may be UEFI CLASS III PC,  that is  the question.

and if true is very very strictly UEFI secure boot.

if bios current ,version

look in BIOS for secure boot , choice

it  only takes minutes work there is my answer.

good luck on 2020 PCs , i DO NOT ANSWER LAPTOP POSTs but did  now,  posted wrong forum.

HP Recommended

or post to laptops, not here.

as

Is my Omen 15 en0012ax,  laptop , UEFI CLASS 3 , restricted to GPT boot drives only.

many are, now 2020 is the dead line official year for CLASS 3, so says the wiki on topic

what HP did in your BIOS IDK,   F.07 Rev.A (no spec I can find here, just F07) zip.

Class 3:UEFI without CSM ! is the rule if HP , did it. ( I sure do not know but  you sure can look and do 1 simple test)

mr kirby said.

CSM -Compatibility Support Module.* ((Compatibility for OS Using MBR - Master Boot Record eg : Windows XP, Windows 7))

So Class 3 UEFI does not come with Legacy BIOS options, Only Class 2 UEFI Support both UEFI and Legacy BIOS with Compatibility Mode, When Turned on this option in firmware interface.

So only x64 based Operating Systems can be installed on Class 3 UEFI computer. And Windows 7 and Previous operating system's driver base architecture is not at all Compatible with class 3 UEFI hardware.

and may reject non oEM GPU cards.

the best report on Class 3 is here,

https://uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/Brian_Richardson_Intel_Final.pdf

keep in mind if intels driver block you out, there IS NO OTHER PATH (AMD?) no driver NO BOOTS.

HP Recommended

even more fun is this

from now forward in time 2020

the word BIOS has no meaning at all, (like saying Edsel or Yogo or Gateway PC or Packard Bell)

I am 1/2 joking but is true, Intel does not support BIOS from this day forward in time, its DEAD JIM (startrek joke)

RIP BIOS,  that I love, and will never ever own a CLASS III PC ever.  too old me and hate it.(daffy ducks says despicable)

I like swapping out GPU cards easy, and CLASS 3 does not let me,  (GPU is part of the lock down now)

HP Recommended

shame, but still understandable. thanks for clearing that up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.