Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Desktop 110
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Seems like it is some kind of power management action.  The keyboard and mouse are suddenly not responsive, even though processes are moving along just fine as observed on the monitor.  Pushing the power button once seems to put the machine to sleep- pushing again wakes it up and the keyboard and mouse are responsive.  I also tried unplugging them and replugging, and that seemed to work a couple of times.  No other USB items plugged in.  Replaced HDD with SSD recently, since that's what HP troubleshooter indicated.   Problem occurs with either drive installed.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@sbd5,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Are you using a USB keyboard/mouse or wireless?

Meanwhile, I recommend you uninstall the keyboard and mouse driver from device manager and then restart the computer and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1. Type "Device Manager" into the search field to open the device manager console.
  2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.
  3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.
  4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

NOTE: On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click the Delete the driver software for this device option to delete the driver package that was used for the device.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

I appreciate your help, but uninstalling the keyboard and mouse did not solve the problem.  I did a complete recovery from the D drive previously, so I was not confident that uninstalling the drivers would help.  (The computer worked just fine for 6 years using the same drivers.)

I have learned that the problem may be related to the use of the mouse.  If the keyboard is left untouched for a while and only the mouse is being used, the mouse will eventually lock up.  If I quickly press the keyboard (such as the Windows key) in this situation, the mouse becomes responsive again.  It may lock up again soon afterward, but quickly using the keyboard seems to prevent total lockup.

Also, when I am totally locked, I can sometimes recover by disconnecting the keyboard and mouse (both are USB).  Sometimes, not.  However, I can always recover by pressing the power button.  The monitor displays a message that indicates it is going to sleep.  Then I press the power button again, and I hear the tower make some noise (sounds like the DVD drive waking up) and my USB input devices are functional again.

It almost seems like there is a power management setting that allows the USB system to go to sleep.  It wakes up again when one of several methods is employed- the power switch always works, unplugging sometimes works, and pressing the keyboard works if I'm quick enough.  I don't know if the machine would lock up if I simply typed on the keyboard for a while.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@sbd5 I suggest you perform a complete hardware test to identify the cause of the malfunction:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I pay for high speed internet and something is wrong I could be in the middle of an assignment or something else but its like it all freezes and then disappears. yes my mouse stops working and pad on tablet does nothing. ever since I installed office for School.

HP Recommended

@sbd5
Thank you for posting back. 

Have you tried uninstalling the office software and checked?

let's update the latest system software and driver using Windows Update and HP Support Assistant:

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was not able to download and install.  Something about .framework if I recall.  Anyway, I had posted my original message with more detail previously, and there was no response.

Originally, I ran the HP diagnostics that came with the PC.  It indicated a problem with the HDD.  So, I purchased an SSD and copied a complete image of the drive.  This did not solve the problem.  So, I went back to my original HDD and ran the HP recovery from the D drive.  I believe this resets me back to the original factory setting.  Still locks up.  

HP Recommended

@sbd5
Thank you for posting back.

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I believe this is a hardware issue- the USB circuitry on the motherboard.  I ordered a new board from New Egg and I'll let you know what I find.  Thanks for helping.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.