Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Desktop 110
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Computer started to lock up randomly a couple of weeks ago.  I thought it might be Windows updates, which seemed to be causing others to have trouble in August.  Machine was always OK after restarting.  After restoring to a point before the August updates, the problem persisted.  Ran HP diagnostics, which indicated original HDD failed the short test.  Not a big surprise for a 6 year old machine.  I bought an SSD and cloned it from the HDD.  Seemed to work OK for a while, then it failed to boot when latest Windows update installed.  Windows could not find SSD at that point.  So, I recloned SSD from my HDD and turned off Windows updates.  System booted OK, but still locked up randomly- doesn't seem to be related to any particular program running, including Internet connection status.  Restored my original HDD to original software to eliminate software as the problem.  Locked up during initial Windows update- just looking for the updates.  Ran HP diagnostics and everything passed, including the HDD which had failed previously.  I recall watching an online video which continued to play while my keyboard and mouse were unresponsive, so the problem seems to be with the USB devices or the motherboard.  I have no other USB devices plugged in.  Tried to run HP updates and Intel updates for the board, but HP showed nothing available and the Intel driver updater could not install.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.