Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp omen 25l
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an omen 25l and the video card went bad.  I replaced it with an older card a nvidia geforce gtx 650.  now I do not get the boot screen and cannot get into bios.   otherwise the card works just fine.  any ideas?   

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello
at least the exact model of the computer should be
You say you couldn't get into bios, but you could before?
If you remove the graphics card, you can or not?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

model  OMEN 25L Desktop - GT12-0240m CTO

when i pull the gpu there is no video because their is no gpu installed,   the gpu works just fine in another computer. i

have tried two different gpu's and get the same problem.  i get no video if i am not in windows.  i have tested both gpus in another computer and they ok just fine.  any ideas?

HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000a/33802656/model/34385033/product-...

nothing on the characteristics of the computer here
you have which processor, which motherboard?

motherboard specifications, Moria3

motherboard specifications, Dorado

motherboard specifications, Dorado OC

can you replace the original card and go to the bios in this case?

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000a/33802656/document/c06611431

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz maximum boost frequency, 32 MB L3 cache, 6 core (Matisse)

Here are the trouble shooting steps I have tried.

I do not have the original video card. I have used two different video cards and I cannot get any video outside of windows. what this means is when I reboot the screen is black. I get no hp logo. I get no prompts for bios. When I use the key combinations for entering bios. I get a blank screen. when I try to change the boot order I get a blank screen.  I only get video once the system is inside of windows. 

My monitor tells me that It has no signal from the video card.
I have two monitors

monitor 1 vga and hdmi .
monitor 2 vga dvi and hdmi.

I have two video cards
video card 1 vga, dvi, hdmi   nvida gtx 650  
video card 2 vga, dvi, hdmi.

I have tried all combinations of video card and monitor ie hdmi to hdmi, vga to vga, ect. and I get no signal unless I am in windows.

when I use the video cards in a different computer everything works fine. I think the issue is with the mother board.

HP Recommended

Sorry if I didn't understand you but at the beginning you tell me
"I replaced it with an older card a nvidia geforce gtx 650. now I do not get the boot screen and cannot get into bios."
I thought then that it did not work at all ..
now you write
"I only get video once the system is inside of windows."
so you have the video card working, but it's just that you can't go into the bios system, is it right?

I have met users who indicated that they could not enter the bios, if connected via HDMI ..
Out of your test even if it is not HDMI, not possible ..?
Did you test well with just one screen?
Well it's curious, unfortunately if all the tests are done, I don't see other things to try.
The original card can no longer be used, did I understand that correctly?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

> Any ideas?

Disconnect the "data" and "power" cables from the disk-drive.

Then, when you try to start the computer, you will see "no operating system has been found".

At that point, can you press a key to enter BIOS SETUP mode?

HP Recommended

ok, I still cannot get into bios.   

hard ware specs 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt12-0000a/33802656/document/c06611431

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz Base frequency, up to 4.2 GHz maximum boost frequency, 32 MB L3 cache, 6 core (Matisse)

Symptom.   When I boot my computer, I get no omen boot screen.  I get no bios prompts.  The monitor shows no video signal.   Once windows boots I can use windows just fine.   I get video while I am in windows.  I get no video at any other time. 

Trouble shooting steps.   

1. Unplugged power from mother board and psu.  waited 1 min. reconnected power cables.  I still have the same issue.  I cannot access the BIOS.

2.   I unplugged hard drive  and removed all power cables.   removed the m.2 drive.  I  waited 1 min and reconnected all power cables.   left hdd cable unplugged..    I rebooted and got no video at all.   waited 10 min and did not get any video.  Put m.2 drive back in and rebooted.   same issue.  I got no video until I booted into windows.  I was not able to access bios as there was no video. 

3. I have two monitors. I unplugged all monitor cables from the all monitors. then using only one cable at a time, I  did the following test

monitor 1

vga cable only to monitor 1  Not able to access bios, no video.   windows works just fine. 

dvi cable only to monitor 1  Not able to access bios, no video.   windows works just fine. 

hdmi cable only to monitor 1 Not able to access bios, no video.   windows works just fine.

monitor 2

vga cable only to monitor 2   Not able to access bios, no video.   windows works just fine.

hdmi cable only to monitor 2   Not able to access bios, no video.   windows works just fine.

6  I reset the bios using the window +b key.   after reboot I repeated all of the above tests.

I am still  not able to access bios, no video.   windows works just fine.

Any one have an Idea?   I think that the mother board has issues and may need to be replaced. 

HP Recommended

hi

the computer is working normally, so I have a doubt about the damaged motherboard
Can you test with a newer card?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

unfortunately I only have one video card and do not have the money to purchase a new card.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.