Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6674y Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am getting the above error message. The recovery disk is not working. I tried downloading the ISO from Microsoft. The agent advised me to reach out the manufacturer. I have called three times to HP. I was hung up three times. I understand that I am not under warranty. Is there a ultity tool that I can put on a USB drive to fix my issue?  

Edit: when I put in the HP recovery disc. I get the error messagen Error the hard disk was not found.  If you have a hard disk installed, the cables may be loose ot the disk is not initialized. You may need need to run the Fdisk program to initialize the disk. Use extreme caution with the fdisk! 

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi

The Boot Manager may be corrupted or missing because the Hard Disk has failed.

Can you run an F2 Diagnostic or similar to test the Hard Drive, with a view to replacing it if the result is negative.

W7 Boot Mgr.png

HP Recommended

they all passed

HP Recommended

@js560000

Since the diagnostics passed, then the likely issue is that the boot loader files have become corrupted.

This can be repaired using a boot disk or USB stick made from a utility known as Macrium Reflect.

This is a free tool that can be used to image and restore PCs, but it also has an option to create Rescue Media (in disk or USB form) that can then be used to Repair your PC.

It is available from here:  http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
a) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
b) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD
c) Boot your PC from the MR media and select the option to repair the Windows Boot

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@js560000 wrote:

they all passed

And how much of the pictogram did you work thru?

I assume you have a repair disk created from your OP.

HP Recommended

It tells me that GPT for usb drive is not supprted for the Macrium Reflect.

HP Recommended

Yes, I used the original that I had. I also used one given to me by a friend. He had both discs. 

HP Recommended

Is it now fixed?

https://neosmart.net/wiki/bootrec/

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/use-bootrec-exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues

HP Recommended

If I had the windows 7 cd, but HP never gives you it when you buy their PCs. Edit: plus the Easy Recovery Essentials costs money. I also noticed that it says windows 98 now20181206_152010.jpg

HP Recommended

20181206_152719.jpg

15441391087161472569372462670453.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.