Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

HP17-AK011NM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can someone suggest why my new machine keeps rebooting?

It gives no warning and there are no error messages or sounds.

For example, today I had just saved a Word document. I then double clicked the internet browser icon.

The computer immediately did a reboot.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
6,247 6,228 313 457
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

@robert751

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

Please capture the error code or message on the blue or black screen if it appeared before the computer turned off automatically, I would request you to follow the below steps to capture and reply back with the error message/code to identify the issue and find a permanent fix: 

• In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings. 

• In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. 

• Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK. 

• Restart the computer to apply the change. 

• The computer no longer restarts automatically when a blue screen error occurs. 

For more details: click here 

 However, if the computer shuts down and the lights on both the power button and the charger port turns off, 

you may need to try with an alternate power adapter and reseat the battery before you try using it again 

Please reply back with the error code as the issue is code specific and it would be rather easier to provide an accurate solution using the same. 

Let me know how that pans out,

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

> Can someone suggest why my new machine keeps rebooting?

How new is the computer?

If it is just a week or two, take it back to the retail store that sold it to you, and get it repaired/replaced.

If the original HP Warranty is still active, contact HP, to open a claim against the warranty.

Scroll-down on this web-page, to see the "Contact HP" hyperlink.

Either way, you should not need to trouble-shoot a new computer.

If you purchase a new toaster, and it does not work, you would return/replace it. Correct?

If you purchase a new automobile, and it has problems, would you try to fix it, or take it back to the dealer?

If you purchase a new computer, you should expect some "warranty". Correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

Thanks Barachial.

There was no blue screen and the machine seemed to reboot just when it felt like it.

I wondered whether I might have changed a setting without realising it.

Anyway, I did as you said.

The log showed a number of error 64 (didn't close down properly?) and 1016 (don't know what)

I also ran a registry checker a few times and then managed to find a 'compatibility checker' for apps.

It seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed !

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

You are absolutely right mdklassen.

I have been running Linux for years and therefore have little knowledge of Windows etc.

I wondered, therefore, whether it was something that I had done, and was hoping to narrow down the problem before going back to the shop - the reboots happened at such strange times that the shop could perhaps run the machine for 2 days and find nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

> was hoping to narrow down the problem before going back to the shop.

You are entitled to contact HP, to get a HP technician to call you, and walk you through their choice of diagnostic tools, e.g., the HP Hardware Diagnostics utility built-in to every HP computer, or to use the "Event Viewer" command to view the log-files that Windows writes, to look for specific "warnings" and/or "errors".

During the duration of the warranty, this is a "free" service.

Let them guide you through their list.  It's much better than trying a specific recommendation from this forum -- much more intaractive, and more "focused" on the order in which to run the diagnostics.

If HP cannot fix it, they will replace your computer, under the terms of the warranty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

rebooting

The computer has now run for a week with no critical error (41) in the log file.

In the end, the solution was fairly simple ...

I disabled/unchecked all the Microsoft 'enhancements' ... which I didn't want anyway.

I think perhaps the most 'lethal' of these was 'fast startup'

Trevor

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation