Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

repair tool in a loop

Pavilion d7-4177
Microsoft Windows 8 (32-bit)

Ali did a hard shutdown because desktop was frozen........now when booting up it’s stuck in repair mode

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 830 1,479
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

repair tool in a loop

@cy-1

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion dv7-4177 series laptop and after performing a hard shutdown, the laptop is stuck in the repair mode. Not to worry, I'll do my best to assist you with this case. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did your laptop freeze due to which you performed a hard reset?
  • Does the repair mode continue or gives an option to you to continue? If yes then please initiate the repair. This will repair the Windows operating system.

Meanwhile, if the repair options does not work then please perform the following steps to isolate and fix the issue:

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

If the issue persists then let us perform a Microsoft Push Button Reset. This repairs your computer by reinstalling the operating system. This can be done either while preserving your personal data and customizations, or removing all your personal data.

For some reason, if the push button reset does not work then let us run the hard drive test on the laptop. The following steps will help:

• Turn off the laptop.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Sample List of the Component tests

• Hard Drive Tests - There are six hard drive tests, and they can take from 10 minutes to 2 hours or more to complete. To run the hard drive tests, follow the steps in Hard Drive Tests.

Hope this helps. Let me know the results. Cheers! 🙂

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation