Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP t630 Thin Client
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Folks,

Looking for any ideas:

• We have thousands of WES 7 Thin Clients. Every year I build a new image, capture it, and deploy the new image to our Thin Clients.
  • This year, we purchased a couple thousand t630s running Win 10 IoT. For the past three days, I have been building a Enterprise Standard Image. So far, so good. I was really impressed with the speed and performance of the t630. I decided it was time to Enable the UWF, reboot, and capture our new Win 10 IoT Production Image.
  • I enabled the UWF, rebooted, and Boom - Win 10 Blue Screen.
  • The only Stop code displayed is BUGCODE ID DRIVER. That's it, nothing else. I can't boot into Safe Mode. I can't do the "Hard Power Down Three Times Trick." Basically, I can't get past the Blue Screen.

Does anyone have an idea how I can save this image? I know this is a longshot; however, I was hoping there was a way I could boot up and Capture the image. I'm looking for a ThinUpdate miracle on this one.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
There is a bug in the March and April cumulative update, I haven't tried May's yet.

I have installed the December cumulative update and that works OK, one of the newer ones may also work.

Apparently, you can use HPs write manager instead of Uwf and not get the problem.

Microsoft are a disgrace, they have broken their own feature and not fixed it for at least two months.
HP Recommended

Hello Friend,

Thank you very much for the reply.

This was extremely frustrating. I recreated the issue.

I'm going to build an image, update it, and engage the HP Write Filter. I'll Capture it too.

I'll also try to Update with the May Patches and see if I can enable the Windows UWF. I'll post my results.

Again, thanks for the reply. Microsoft should have caught this.

Craig

HP Recommended

All of the 40 or so T730s I have are doing the same thing. Please let me know if you discover that the May updates address the issue. I didn't see anything in the Patch Tuesday notes that would indicate that though. Also as a work around you can visit the followng site: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/145e28a7-43ae-4deb-a3a8-0a34ab36893f/uwfmgr-bugcod...

it effectively turns UWF off though so it may not be an option.

HP Recommended

Hey Tom,

I'll post updates to this thread. This is turning into a complete "Cluster." I'm working with someone from HP along with some friends that work for other companies. Right now, I have a project on hold that involves 2,700+ t630 Thin Clients.

Here is some additional information:

• The March Updates will definately cause this issue.
  • The April Updates are definately causing problems.
  • I rebuilt an Enterprise Image and ran all patches from Windows Update including May. I was so worried about the UWF causing issues, that I didn't enable it. I wanted to Capture the Image first from DM. I wanted a Base Image I could default to - It takes a long time to build our "Spec" Image. Again, I used the t630. Again, the performance was outstanding. I decided to Capture the Image from one of our HP DM Servers (4.7 SP8). The Capture started properly, rebooted the t630, and then "Blew Up" again. This time no Blue Screen - Just a non Boot Disk error.
  • As far as I am concerned, there are two issues here. I can recreate both issues on multiple devices.
    1. Microsoft Updates are causing the original problem with the UWF.
    2. Something in one of the new Updates - not necessarily Microsoft - is causing issues with the Capture process.

My big mistake was to not just run ThinUpdate from the t630 itself and grab my image that way. At least, I wouldn't have to start over again.

It has been suggested to us to -

• Build my image with the existing patches on it (pre 12/2017) and deploy it that way. I'm not going to do that. That's not even a solution. Security will pummel us if we do that.
  • Use the HP Write Filter instead. We are going to test this.

What pisses me off is that I can't use the DM Console to Capture. I do not want to use ThinUpdate and copy the .ibr file to the Server to see if I can Deploy the image.

We are working on this and I will post updates when I get any positive results or news.

Good Luck,

Craig

HP Recommended

Hello,

Here is some additional information. I hope all of this helps.

• First of all, there are issues with the UWF coexisting with certain "newer" Security Patches and Updates. The Windows Cumulative Updates after 02-2018 will Blue Screen your image. We have unfortunately recreated this far too many times with the 03 and 04 Updates.
  • There is something wrong with the 05 Update as well.
  • Make sure you have the latest Win 10 IoT Image supplied by HP. I worked with a very good HP Engineer on this.
  • Put simply, if the Base Image you start with has the UWF Icon in the System Tray, you will have these issues once you try to download Security Patches and Updates.

Here is what we did.

• Download the latest HP Win 10 IoT Image available for the t630 Thin Client.
  • The version we started with was 1607 OS Build 14393.1715.
  • Make sure the Lock/Unlock Icon in the System Tray is HP Write Manager and not UWF.
  • I took the "Generic" Image from HP and started building our Enterprise Image. At the end of the build, I enabled Windows Update and watched. Once all of the Updates were applied, I Captured the image via DM. I wanted to make sure I didn't have to start over again. At this point, I have an almost complete Enterprise Image.
  • The Final Step was to Enable HP Write Manager and reboot. The device DID NOT Blue Screen. I was able to Create and Capture an Enterprise Gold Image.

Other Information:

• Is the HP Write Manager as good as UWF? The only thing I know for sure right now is that it DID NOT destroy my image.
  • Is this a Microsoft issue? Yes.
  • Did I push Microsoft on this issue? No.
  • Depending on how long ago you purchased your Thin Clients, you may run into this issue. We have a lot of old inventory and some of the devices did have a Pre 1607 OS Build 14393.1715 image.
  • HP basically worked around the issue by developing their own tool that serves the same purpose as the UWF as well as taking some of the wear and tear off of the device flash drive.
  • Did this problem suck? Yup.

Good luck folks.

HP Recommended

Resurreting this as I ran into this with a truck load of terminals. MS finally realized the problem and resolved it in September of 2018  as some of their patches started working once again.

The trick is to boot into a winpe environment and disable the UWF using the WMI.  I did this by taking one of the usb drives meant to reimage, changed the batch file to just run cmd

then followed https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/enterprise/uwf-filter to disable the write filter on the system drive.

I was able to boot back into the system and remove the update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.