Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkNM
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

turns on but that's all

HP Recommended

I have similar problem which started a few days ago.

Trying to troubleshoot now as I do almost all of my own repairs...successfully...until now with this difficult HP h8-1440t.

@old_geekster @general0 Is there anything new in the last few months that you might have fallen into?

Thanks,

MarkNM

7 REPLIES 7
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,724 24,376 2,847 10,414
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@MarkNM, welcome back to the forum.

@MarkNMwrote:

I have similar problem which started a few days ago.

Trying to troubleshoot now as I do almost all of my own repairs...successfully...until now with this difficult HP h8-1440t.

@old_geekster @general0 Is there anything new in the last few months that you might have fallen into?

Thanks,

MarkNM

You state that you have a similar problem.  Give me a bit more details on what is the problem and what was happening before the problem began.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
general0
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, no.  I tried everything even replacing the case.  I gave up and found one on ebay with same configuration. Replaced the drives with mine and left the carcass in a box.  I am beginning to believe there is a short in the motherboard somewhere.  We have a shop here that is a no fix no pay place.  He couldn't fix it either.  

0 Kudos
MarkNM
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, I'm beginning to suspect something other than a component or hardware failure.  I've been reading around and have come across discussion of HP machines at 3-5 yrs of age beginning to malfunction with the latest Microsoft Win10 updates and security patches...starting with January of 2018.  This is when my problems began.  My machine identical to yours will boot if I clear the CMOS and wait overnight.  I can power cycle and have a successful bootup.  If Win10 decides to do a restart after an update, the machine fails over to just the "hp" logo on screen.  If I do a restart from the Win10 update page, the machine will fail over to the "hp" logo screen.  To recover, I must clear the CMOS and wait overnight for a successful reboot.  My wife used the pc all day yesterday with no difficulty.  If there is a problem related to Win10 updates corrupting the HP products, there must be some liability someplace!  Its really frustrating to have a $3k pc corrupted with the only option to go out and buy another $3k machine from HP so I can do my computation-intensive modeling and design.  I'm an electrical engineer doing electromagnetic simulations.  I see HP has a "sale" on various products, so maybe I will  make the plunge.

Thanks for your interest...I think we need to gather some focus on Win10 Updates resulting in corrupted HP products.

0 Kudos
general0
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You may be on to something there.  It was after that update that my machine's problems began.  This one however, has done all the updating with no issues.  It is possible we were lucky enough to get machines within a timeframe where the CMOS is vulnerable to an extent.  I just gave up on it.  As for the cost of new, for what it's worth, my first computer cost me 3K and had 8K RAM, a single sided 5.25 floppy disk and I had to build it myself.  Though not chump change 3K buys you a lot more today.  I still don't trust them though.

MarkNM
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the kind reply.

I believe there is strength in the observation of corruption of machine performance by Win10 Updates...at the same time, why do I have to clear CMOS, wait overnight and then successfully restart the PC.

Could be something flaking out in the hardware...but where to begin checking. 

Replacement MainBoards are pricey.

When the PC would run, I successfully conducted all the hardware tests that HP's diagnostics offered.  System was 100% fine even after running the extended testing that took over 5 hours.

So...where to go next, except perhaps start over with a new workstation.

Weekend is coming so I may have time to root through is again.

0 Kudos
MarkNM
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was thinking about my old computing equipment after your reference to yours...

My first assembled machine was the Apple2c...system cost about $3k in 1985.  I still have it and it still runs fine with all the parts cabled together including printer.  It has 128k RAM and a color monitor.  🙂

My employer currently has one of the world's largest computing systems dissipating 15-MegaWatts.  The next version in planning will dissipate 100-MegaWatts...huge cooling towers.  Fantastic capabilities!

0 Kudos
general0
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is a question I can't answer.  If you can clear the CMOS and it works, that's more than I could get most times.  I got squirelly video sometimes but when I restarted the machine, it crashed.  I've done this since 1975 and never had a problem that gave me more frustration.  That is why I found a 98% duplicate on Ebay and just replaced it.  I don't know if the old one predates or postdates my original, but it has been working like a champ.  It was the easiest solution.  I did a lot of CAD work back then so I always had to have the latest and greatest.  Truth be told, when you buy it, the technology is already outdated by years.  I feel your frustration.  We get so dependant on these machines, we find it hard to function.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation