Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 590 p0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 590 p0020 desktop .. it says the MB can be upgraded to ryzen 7 2700 .. the current processor is

• 3.5GHz AMD Ryzen 3 2200G quad-core processor .. I installed the ryzen 7 2700 and the systen never came up ... it didn;t even show the bios messages ..I have the latest bios ... what is mny option ..

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

I contated HP support but they could not help me .. so I decided to upgrade my motherboard to a b350 and just make that one work in a new computer case ... I will just keep the p0020 as a backup computer with the ryzen 3 that came with it. I just wish HP would be true to its specs on upgrades to this computer ... I would have spent less money if I just purchased a computer with a ryzen 7 2700 already installed 

HP Recommended

Greetings rochpman,

I am not an HP employee.

My guess would be HP has to update the BIOS to support the 2700. Did you update to BIOS version F.08 Rev. A?

The MB will not support a 2700x. The Sunflower HP MB cannot support the 2700x 105 watt TDP.

Very surprised the MB did not support the 2700 out of the box.

Regards

HP Recommended

BIOS/UEFI version is all I could think of. I was surprised when I cound not find any desktop based on the Sunflower motherboard that comes with non-APU 2nd gen Ryzen i.e. 2600/2700. It's entirely possible that the Sunflower motherboard does not have the microcode for these processors at all. 

Personally I would not bother to make that big of a change in a OEM desktop. Just too much unknowns like you've just experienced. I will add a DIMM or add an SSD but if I need anything more than that I'd just find a higher spec model to begin with, or build my own. 

HP Recommended

My problem is with HP ... on the website the specs and upgrades section for the 590 p0020 says you can upgrade the processor to ryzen 7 2700  .... thats the reason I purchased the 400 dollar computer so an additional 250 bucks I could have a better processor than the ryzen 3 2200g that the computer came with.  The nearest computer that I saw with a 2700 was way over a thousand dollars.

HP Recommended

Come to think of it, when you replace the 2200G with a 2700, what video card did you use? Ryzen 7 2700 does not have an integrated GPU. 

HP Recommended

That's the issue right there - the newly upgraded motherboard had no video output, so wouldn't POST.  You need to add a graphics card to the mix (a very low-wattage one, I'd imagine) and you should be fine.  

HP Recommended

I have this computer.  Upgraded RAM to 8GB. Upgraded the power supply to 310W. Upgraded processor to Ryzen 5 2600. Installed Radeon RX550 graphics card.  Computer will not start. Computer will start if I do not install the graphics card. But, without the graphics card, the computer is useless.  Please tell me why this is happening.

NOTE:  BEFORE ANYONE TELLS ME THIS CONFIGURATION WON'T WORK PLEASE NOTE:  HP SELLS THIS EXACT CONFIGURATION.

HP Recommended

Hi Markbell82,

Try disabling Secure boot and enabling Legacy support (Link) in the BIOS before you install the new graphics card.

Look at "What if the PC does not boot when I install new hardware" at the above link.

It is also good to remove existing graphics drivers before installing the new graphics card.

Then install the correct graphics drivers after the new card is installed and the PC boots using the new card

Regards

HP Recommended

What exactly was the symptom of won't start? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.