Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-q251
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a Pavilion 23-q251.  It takes on the order of a few minutes to boot, and during this hang period it is stuck on the screen with the HP logo.  Steps I have tried:

1) flashed bios to VA0.13 11/21/17, loaded default settings

2) bought a SSD (samsung EVO) - replaced the HDD that came with the (WD blue drive), installed a fresh clean install of windows 10

3) during this at some point I enabled the bios setting to hide the HP logo and view the post messages.   I noticed that the screen that hangs for minutes has the words "Management Platform (ME) in manufacturing mode" on it.  Not sure if this is related to why it hangs here for awhile but also not sure why it is in this mode.  on this screen is also the options for hitting escape to enter setup, etc.

4) pulled cmos battery for a few minutes - then just replaced it as I had a new one.  Loaded factory default bios settings again.

none of this made any difference - it will boot into windows eventually, and when in windows it operates  normally.   The issue seems to be during bios/UEFI stage of the boot process.

suggestions ?

thanks

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Slow operating system load time usually means you have a lot of unnecessary startup items.

Check Task Manager

Startup.

I have seven startup items on my Windows 10 installation. Last BIOS time is 14.9 seconds.

Startup.PNG

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi - my same screen shows Last Bios TIme as 136.1 seconds.

I have 5 startup items (Intel rapid storage, spotify, onedrive, windows defender) and have disabled all except windwos defender and it is still at 136 seconds.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

Have you checked your system's HP Support download site for Intel MEI update?

Have you had any HP service done on your system lately?

Did you install Samsung Magician and tweak the 850?

It must have something to do with the Management Platform (ME) in manufacturing mode.

I tried an HP forum search but have not seen anything helpful.

Maybe another forum member has a better idea.

Check out this Microsoft document on enabling or disabling manufacturing mode. I don't know why it would be enabled on a consumer PC???

You might want to proceed with extreme caution using steps at the Microsoft link per above. Don't want to give you destructive advice. I am treading in unknown waters and have never encountered this issue before.

Good luck, hope somebody has a better widget.

Tom

HP Recommended

to answer a few of your further questions:

--no recent HP service

--have not installed Samsung magician

--I looked at the link you forwarded but can't find a download for the FFU tool they reference if I wanted to attempt that route

--I came across a few suggestions around rolling back the IME driver to an older version but I can't find the older versions on HP website- it only shows the new  V11....can I download from Intel ?   or some way to find on HP site?

thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi

I think you may have to contact HP on this unless someone in the forum has more information or verified solution.

I am not sure what BIOS update you used; ("flashed bios to VA0.13 11/21/17").

I see two BIOS updates having two different motherboard SSID's. Neither BIOS update match your description per above.

The HP link on the product spec site to your MB for identifying the SSID is failing. Click on the link in this message, scroll down, click on Crane-U, scroll down, then click on link to the motherboard specs. It fails.

There is a MEI driver version 11.0.0.1166 Rev.A dated 10-19-2015 at the Software and Driver Download site. What version are you running?

Sorry, this is a tricky situation.

I don't want to do any harm.

You may need HP on this one.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi

I see two bios files available on my product support page - one is "A0.08 Rev.A" and one is "A0.13 Rev.A" dated Nov 2017.  I installed the A0.13 RevA bios (Rom family SSID 2B45)

I just tried downloading and installing the recommended IME 11.0.0166 Rev. A.   When I try to install it I get an error "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error:  This platform is not supported"

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

You are welcome.

Sorry to hear this.

Check "Programs and Features" for the current installed MEI version.

What do you have now?

Intel seems to not be providing MEI updates at this time. Intel is recommending update to minimum MEI version 11.7.0.1040 because of a recently disclosed security flaw in older versions. OEM's are to provide the update.

The BIOS firmware must also be updated. OEM's would have to provide the BIOS update.

It is difficult to determine if this is your problem.

I really think you need to touch base with HP on this.

Tom

HP Recommended

Hi - thanks for your help on this.  

Will try to find a local HP service center and see how it goes.

HP Recommended

> I noticed that the screen that hangs for minutes has the words "Management Platform (ME) in manufacturing mode" on it.  Not sure if this is related to why it hangs here for awhile but also not sure why it is in this mode.  on this screen is also the options for hitting escape to enter setup, etc.

Enter BIOS SETUP mode. 

Disable the Intel M.E. support.

Save/Exit.

Reboot.

Does this help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.