Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

was doing HP recommended update(s) and mouse and key board quit working

Envy 700 PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was doing several HP recommended updates, do not remember all of them, but there were 5 or 6.  Was watching Youtube while this was going on, and my wireless mouse and keyboard quit working.  I moved the receiver from the USB on the back to every other USB on the computer, with no results.  I rebooted, several times, tried another wireless mouse, tried a wired mouse  - no good.  I took all of these and tried them on my Notebook and they all worked fine.  Does anyone know what happened and more importantly what to do to fix this ?  Thanks in Advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
26,476 26,431 2,200 3,373
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@case2

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the keyboard & mouse isn't working,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you performed a hard reset to release any excessive static from the device?

If not make, sure you shut down the device, disconnect all the devices from your desktop and then hold the power button in for about 15 seconds to release the static and the try the below steps to troubleshoot USB devices that are not working correctly:

1. Power: If the USB device operates on battery power, make sure the batteries are correctly seated and are functional. If the USB device operates on external power, make sure all the power connections are secure and the power cord is connected to a power source.

2. Test the USB connection: Sometimes, simply disconnecting and reconnecting the USB device to the computer can solve the problem:

1. Disconnect all USB devices from the computer except a USB mouse and keyboard (if in use). This includes hubs, thumb drives, printers, and cameras.

2. With all USB devices disconnected, do one of the following:

• If you have a desktop computer, connect the device that is not working correctly to one of the USB ports on the back of the computer (the ports attached directly to the motherboard).

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I did the 'hard' reboot, with all the devices disconnected, unplugged the computer, overnight, then held the power button down for over a minute.  After plugging the wireless receiver into the back of the computer plugged the power cord back in booted up and still no mouse or keyboard. 

I know that there is power to the USB ports as when I plug in my external hard drive, the light comes on and the pop up comes up on the screen.  

I can not do most of what is in the instructions as I have no mouse or keyboard!

Thanks for your help, I need it 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@case2

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Perhaps, you could tell me if you have any error messages on the screen?

Or is it that it boots to the windows desktop screen but none of the keys or mouse works after that?

While you respond to that, here's a few more things you need to do:

The best way to do that is using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Couple of more things.  I took my mouse and keyboard to another computer and they work just fine.  I also took a wired mouse ( still a USB ) that works on my other computer, but not on my HP.  I have tried to get into the BIOS by pressing F2 and F8 during boot up, but nada.  Now when booting it is telling me that windows did not shut down correctly and asking if I want to go into safe mode, but again no mouse or Keyboard.

Rather perplexing, I have been using computers for a very long time - I am an Oracle DBA and have never seen this.  Everything was working fine until I did the HP update(s).

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Preston

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@case2

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Did you go through the steps (guided troubleshooter) I had suggested earlier,

If yes and yet the issue persists, I recommend you Contact HP as this could be a hardware malfunction:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I do not know what I did, but it is working now.  Just kept rebooting until I got the screen that asked if I wanted to restore.  Since no mouse or keyboard, just let it do it's thing and now it is all working.  Just not going to do anymore HP updates!

Thank You for your Help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@case2

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad you found the solution for this concern,  

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

And if you ever need anymore assistance, feel free to get back to us.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation