Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 14-df0018wm
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

i was on my computer and everything stopped working so i shut my computer as always and open it back up when i opened it back up it had a black screen with the hp logo saying "preparing automatic repair" i turned it off but it was still there. im not sure what to do.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

hi

do the full tests
in case of error code indicated here

HP PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures | HP® Customer Support

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Restart your computer. If it shows "starting automatic repair", that is good. Let it continue, for up to 2 hours -- the larger the capacity of your disk-drive, the longer it will take to "repair" the installed Windows software. 

Even if the "hardware" tests are OK, you might have a "software" problem that the "repair" will try to fix.

HP Recommended

what if the test isnt okay? because i have 1 problem and supposedly its storage but i have over enough. another thing is its been saying "preparing automatic repair" since last night. is this a good thing or not?

HP Recommended

If the hardware test shows a problem with "storage", then it is your disk-drive that is failing to read/write correctly.

No, it is not good that it is stuck on "preparing", rather than showing you the "automatic repair" screen.

It is possible that your disk-drive is failing, and needs to be replaced. You'll need to install Windows on the new and "empty" disk-drive.

In the case of a failing disk-drive, STOP trying to use it, while it still has a little "life" remaining. Purchase a new disk-drive, install Windows onto it. Connect the old disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive, and see if there is enough remaining "life" to copy all your personal files from it onto the new disk-drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you ill try and  find one but can i do it on a hard drive?

HP Recommended

thx @itsmyname 

@Nelly16 

"what if the test isnt okay? because i have 1 problem and supposedly its storage but i have over enough. another thing is its been saying "preparing automatic repair" since last night. is this a good thing or not?"

I asked you to give the error code in case of problem, you don't have one?
IF it is the hard drive that is hs, follow this :

(macro auto ]
the hard drive is defective
It can continue to operate for a certain time, but it can definitively break down, if it is not already the case!
If possible, save personal data
Try a full reinstall
Be careful even if it works, it may permanently break down, save the data regularly.
This may allow you to use the computer while you find a hard drive!

You can try to help yourself with this tutorial (sorry not fully translated)

que faire en cas d' erreur / échec dst du disque dur - HP Support Community - 7338574

Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7)

You can try several things in order to try to recover your data

You can try a bootable cd / dvd type live cd (linux)

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-retrieve-windows-files-using-a-linux-live-cd/

you can try removing the hard drive, in order to connect it to another computer internally, or with a usb adapter!

https://www.muo.com/tag/connect-get-data-off-hard-drive/
If your disk is not completely out of order, this gives you a small chance

is it this one ?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-14-df0000-laptop-pc/23201152/model/29483199

Maintenance and Service Guide

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.