Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
C5Q77UC#ABA

just to be clear I don't know a thing about computers.
so the troubles started after the winter storm that blasted Texas. at first, Google Chrome wouldn't work but that worked its self out. about a month later I turned it on and the fan started going wild but nothing would go to the screen. when I turned it off and on again it would give me an error message about the memory size. it would always boot after I turned it off and on until about a month ago when it started freezing and not turning on. now it won't even boot if I leave it unplugged for a whole night and I tried leaving it on to see if it would boot, but after an hour I turned it off. when I opened it to see if anything was visibly broken, I saw some cables were disconnected but I don't know if it came like that or not. any clues? Also, it won't even beep when the fans start going.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

When you power-on your computer, it runs the POST (Power On Self Test).

The POST runs the fans at 100% speed (and noise), until the POST confirms that the fan is working correctly.

I think that the POST is discovering some other problem with your computer.

It is time to take the computer to a certified computer technician, for trouble-shooting. It is quite possible that the storm caused a power-surge into your computer, which is now manifesting a problem.

HP Recommended

after I posted yesterday I managed to get my computer past the POST and it gave me a black screen for a few miniutes before fully booting. also, I looked up what happens if POST finds something and it said it will give beeps, flash lights, or show a message. However, on my computer, nothing happens and the fan will go on 100% until I shut down the computer. I even left it on for an hour to see if anything would happen with the same result.

HP Recommended

also considering I got it on do you know of any programs i can use to troubleshoot my computer

HP Recommended

do you know of any programs i can use to troubleshoot my computer ?

Start with the HP Hardware Diagnostics. Power-on your computer, and select this program.

However, on my computer, nothing happens and the fan will go on 100% until I shut down the computer.

That is a sign that the POST (Power On Self Test) of the hardware has FAILED to complete.

HP Recommended

so I passed all the tests on the diagnostic program and do you have any idea what can make a POST fail?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.