Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windowd 10 upgrade _ ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

p7-1534
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

#1 ... we can take the disk failure worry off the plate because I did a disk test on my 1tb WD 10ezex SATA  via the bios and it passed mustard. Further more, I replaced the WD with my 1tb Hitachi SATA, both alone and on a chain with the WD. Still get that stupid error message.

#2 All the WINDOWS fourms and help groups can do is point to examples of people who can get past their bios once they reboot, and seens to be right after a win update, then go straight into their regular home screne. 

#3I get the HP  logo and then the infor message stating a lot of things as well as the BIOs version ... that's v8.17 revision date/4/8/2013.

Not sure, but I think there may be an update for the BIOs, but i heard lots of folks saying it's easy to screw up and get a nice anchor for your boat. And I may have done this myself.

THis all started with my sound card upgrading automatically ... Thank you HP!! NOT! cuase it i could hear other people but they couldn't hear me and then I'd try something else and the they could hear me but I couldn't hear them. That's when I went into the BIOs to check out something .. sorry can't remember what, but whatever it was I was satisfied it was ok.

Then, as I was comoing out of BIOs i must have accidently hit the APPLY DEFAULT SETTINGS ... at least it THINK that's what it said, and said .. "yeah! hey! Why not!"

Then my nightmare started and I discovered why I should NEVER do that again AND I KNOW BETTER! grrr .. so pissed at myself.

So, anyways, both hd's are working .. i can hear them firing up and the main one i had checked via the BIOs DFS??? thing that runs a diagonstics on the HD and it came out clean as a whistle.

Before all this happened, I'd  made a usd bootstrap if you will, but when i restart  iwth that the bios can't see it to grab on and let the repair windows.

Anyone know what I should do?

Should I risk updating the BIOs?

Should I take it to a *GASP* show for repair. OMG that would be SOOOpainfully embarrasing, right?

Help someone? I REALLY don't need a 5lbs paperweight .

Tari 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,296 2,007
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

windowd 10 upgrade _ ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

Hey there! @TARI123456, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues booting into your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you are getting an error- No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed on your PC.

Try the steps recommended below.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

Go to system configuration tab select boot options.

Under boot options enable secure boot and disable legacy boot.

Press F10 to save changes and exit. Check if you are able to boot into your PC.

Also, try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key, you will boot into BIOS.

From the main or file menu select restore defaults.

Select F10 to save changes and exit.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  Still get that stupid error message.

Within BIOS SETUP, you can configure the list of "bootable" devices, to include/exclude various sources:

* USB memory-stick

* Disk-drive #1

* Disk-drive #2

* Internal CD/DVD

* external USB-attached CD/DVD

* internal 3.5-inch "floppy"

Confirm that your list contains your preferred disk-drive.

Or, when starting-up your computer, pressing F12 might allow you to "temporarily change the boot order".

It will show a list of the bootable devices.  Select your preferred device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you Mr. Robot. I will try this when I get home and report back to you with the results.  *fingers crossed

Tari

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes ... i did upgrade my audio and video drivers from NVidia. The sound was on board, but NVidia also included som extra support for audio. As i said before in my first post, I was having real trouble hearing others, but they coudl hear me, and the opposite when fiddling with it.

HP dv7 p7 - 1534   Serial # MXX3180BYB PRODUCT # H2N63AA#ABA

ok .. I COULDN'T GET THE ORIGINAL WD HARD DRIVE TO WORK AT ALL opps so maybe it has died, but I think it's pretty new. I'll see if it has a waranty later.

Good new is my Hitachi is working, but here's the thing with the BlOs:

===================================================

YOU SAID:

Go to system configuration tab select boot options. Here's what I got under STORAGE, cause I have no system config choice, but pretty sure I'm in the right place:

Here are my choices:  Device Config ... it sees my hitachi and its in sata1 and it sees the cdrom and it's in sata 3. I found a dangling black sata power supple cord that went to the cdrom so maybe that's why my boot disc didn't work! (face palms herself)

The next thing is STORAGE OPTIONS, which I'm pertt sure where you want me to change things ... BUT that's about sata emulation >AHCI so nto touching that

then DPS Self Test - this is what i tested my WD hd with that came out as running great, but maybe that is actualy for soemthing diffrent?

THEN .. tadaaa! Theres is BOOT ORDER: Woot! Here's my choices

UEFI BOOT SOURCES

USB FLOPPY/CD ... Seriously? Floopy Disc? Who uses that still? Except for spies maybe *shrugs*

USB HARD DRIVE

ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

UEFI: IPV4 and IPV6 Network cards

It also has LEGACY BOOT SOURCES : DISABLED

SOOOOO .. i can move my mouse to different  choices ..

f5 = diabled

enter = drag

f10 = accept

and the always assuring ECS to cancel

I DON'T see anything about a secure boot. Is there someplace else I should look for that?

Yahhh! Under Security at the very bottom is Secure Boot COnfiguration.\\

UHOH! . when i clickd enter to go into that section i got this message:

The options on this Setup page are only for Windows 8 and other operating systems that support Secure Boot.

Changing the default setting of any of the Setup options on this page for Operating Systems that do nto support Secure Boot may prevent the systm from booting successfully.

then .... Are you sure that you want to continue? f10 accept OR ESC.

i HAVE NO IDEA WHAT VERSION opps sorry for the caps ... what version of Windows is on this HD. I thought i only had a cheapy 500 gig hd on it, but when i looked i remembered i have bought the 1 tb as backup 1 for my artwork and models and my 2 tb seagate to do all my secure backups.

SOOOO i ahve no idea if it was windows 8 or 7. Is there a way to find out?my old system is prety much gutted to have it's bits and pieces feed other puters. *sigh* And every choice ont he System Security is turned on, so if it's win 7 I'm screwed, right?

Now, I'm scared to press APPL DEFAULTS AND EXIT, cause that's how i got in this state of dark screens with ominous warnings in the first place I think. SOooo i'm gonna wait to i hear back from ya, ok?

As far as restoring the BIOs to default, I'd think my hitting yes to APPLY DEFAULTS AND EXIT the first time owuld have done it and I'm scared to try again honestly. This was upgraded a little with more ram and the 1 tb hard driveand a eve Nivida Gforce GTX 1050 video gard with 4 more gigs of ram ... 16 in total so I'd no long be waiting to take the next adjustment on m modeling projects. Having said that, ti dont' think that could impact the system enough fo it to revolt, huh?

Let me know if you want me to do on the default stuff i guess and THANK YOU! I'd be so scared and lost without your help Mr Robot 🙂

Tari

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> THEN .. tadaaa! Theres is BOOT ORDER: Woot! Here's my choices

> UEFI BOOT SOURCES

Is this item "clickable", to expand to show a list of all the disk-drives that are members in that group?

Is your preferred disk-drive shown in that list?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello ... It's a bit more complicated than that I'm affraid, but Mr Robot seems to wrestling down my wayward pc quite well. Thanks for the info anyways. You were no the right track ! jsut need a ton other things done it seems.

((hugs)) - tari

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> It's a bit more complicated than that ...

Please expand.

Can you please answer my previous question:  Is your preferred disk-drive shown in that list?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Oh ... sorry. I didn't see your previous post before your last. Let me do that now.

You asked me to confirm if I saw my preferred HD listed. The answer is .. sorta. Here is what I see when I click on STORAGE and BOOT ORDER:

UEFI Boot Sources

USB Floppy/CD

USB Hard Drive - It doesn't say WDEZEX 1TB Hard Drive

I did run a second test and like the first it showed a "0" at it'sconclusion

(next in the UEFI Boot Sources List)

ATAPI CD/DVD Drive

UEFI:  Ipv4 Network Card

UEFI:  Ipv6 Network Card

(and greyed out ...)

Legacy B oot Sources  :  Disabled

Thank yo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, I went back in and looked over the other BIOs tabs and found that STORAGE is probably where you intended me to go to check for my HD. It's under Device Config and shows the following:

Hard Disk SATA1 1.0 TB, WDC WD10ezex, which is the hard drive for this desktop

Under that is the following:

CD-ROM

SATA3 hp dvd-ram

To me that means it sees both my cdrom and my HD so even more curious as to why it won't boot to the HD

I did perform a 2nd dfs check on this WD HD and again it came out as "0? which as I understand it means PERFECT.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation