Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hello - I recently installed a larger SSD (Samsung 1GB) that I cloned from a smaller SSD (Intel 480 GB) using Macrium Reflect 7 and I was having trouble booting from the new drive so I temporarily installed it into my other windows 10 desktop (which has Intel Xeon 5140 CPU's in it and ECC RAM) and when I re-installed the SSD back in my regular desktop that has a regular cpu (intel i7) and regular RAM (non ECC RAM) and solved my boot problems through other means I now have a problem where if I do a soft boot (using restart) it hangs at the HP logo but if I do a cold boot (using shutdown) it boots fine. This happens also when I do windows updates? I don't know if the problem is related to the temporary install into the other desktop or not or is unrelated? I have done all the things I found on Google searches such as disabling fast start up etc. but nothing worked. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well I did the in place reinstall of windows and it worked but I had to try twice - second time I disabled my anti-virus software and it did the trick and then copied my saved folders over from a USB HD where I had saved them before the install. All good so far but i now have a similar problem with my other desktop. never ends does it - beginning to understand why so many people like the Apple OS.  I posted a help request about my other desktop non-boot issue - hope someone can help? Thanks for your help on this one!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sounds like you may have some system file corruption.

Run the following commands, one at a time, at an admin command prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Grzwacz. I will give it a try and post the outcome.

HP Recommended

Ok - so I did the DISM and it completed fine and the SFC found no corrupt files - problem is still present - a warm boot (reset) still hangs at HP logo but a cold boot (shut down) will boot fine. I also ran the HP hardware tests and everything tested fine. Any other suggestions??

HP Recommended

Hi,

I also use Macrium Reflect free to backup disks and clone disk images.

I have never had the problem you are experiencing.

I don't know what is happening in your situation.

You may have to back up data and do a clean W10 installation on the new Samsung SSD.

Maybe a different forum member has a better solution?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello - I am going to try a windows in place install (that keeps your files and apps ) and see if that is a solution. I'll let you know.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sounds good.

You may lose some W32 programs so back data and have software product keys available before doing this.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well I did the in place reinstall of windows and it worked but I had to try twice - second time I disabled my anti-virus software and it did the trick and then copied my saved folders over from a USB HD where I had saved them before the install. All good so far but i now have a similar problem with my other desktop. never ends does it - beginning to understand why so many people like the Apple OS.  I posted a help request about my other desktop non-boot issue - hope someone can help? Thanks for your help on this one!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.