cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
codger65
Level 2
14 9 1 3
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Solved!

windows 10 desktop hangs at HP logo when I use "restart" but boots fine when I use "shutdown"

HP Recommended

Hello - I recently installed a larger SSD (Samsung 1GB) that I cloned from a smaller SSD (Intel 480 GB) using Macrium Reflect 7 and I was having trouble booting from the new drive so I temporarily installed it into my other windows 10 desktop (which has Intel Xeon 5140 CPU's in it and ECC RAM) and when I re-installed the SSD back in my regular desktop that has a regular cpu (intel i7) and regular RAM (non ECC RAM) and solved my boot problems through other means I now have a problem where if I do a soft boot (using restart) it hangs at the HP logo but if I do a cold boot (using shutdown) it boots fine. This happens also when I do windows updates? I don't know if the problem is related to the temporary install into the other desktop or not or is unrelated? I have done all the things I found on Google searches such as disabling fast start up etc. but nothing worked. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
codger65
Author
Level 2
14 9 1 3
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I did the in place reinstall of windows and it worked but I had to try twice - second time I disabled my anti-virus software and it did the trick and then copied my saved folders over from a USB HD where I had saved them before the install. All good so far but i now have a similar problem with my other desktop. never ends does it - beginning to understand why so many people like the Apple OS.  I posted a help request about my other desktop non-boot issue - hope someone can help? Thanks for your help on this one!

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
7 REPLIES 7
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sounds like you may have some system file corruption.

Run the following commands, one at a time, at an admin command prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Regards

codger65
Author
Level 2
14 9 1 3
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Grzwacz. I will give it a try and post the outcome.

codger65
Author
Level 2
14 9 1 3
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok - so I did the DISM and it completed fine and the SFC found no corrupt files - problem is still present - a warm boot (reset) still hangs at HP logo but a cold boot (shut down) will boot fine. I also ran the HP hardware tests and everything tested fine. Any other suggestions??

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I also use Macrium Reflect free to backup disks and clone disk images.

I have never had the problem you are experiencing.

I don't know what is happening in your situation.

You may have to back up data and do a clean W10 installation on the new Samsung SSD.

Maybe a different forum member has a better solution?

Regards

codger65
Author
Level 2
14 9 1 3
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello - I am going to try a windows in place install (that keeps your files and apps ) and see if that is a solution. I'll let you know.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
7,153 5,668 679 1,459
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sounds good.

You may lose some W32 programs so back data and have software product keys available before doing this.

Regards

codger65
Author
Level 2
14 9 1 3
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I did the in place reinstall of windows and it worked but I had to try twice - second time I disabled my anti-virus software and it did the trick and then copied my saved folders over from a USB HD where I had saved them before the install. All good so far but i now have a similar problem with my other desktop. never ends does it - beginning to understand why so many people like the Apple OS.  I posted a help request about my other desktop non-boot issue - hope someone can help? Thanks for your help on this one!

View solution in original post

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation