Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If I have my GTech 8Tb External USB3 drive (externally powered) plugged in on boot up the PC stops at the HP logo on bootup with "BIOS V. 3.91" on the left of screen and "B4" on the right of screen.

I have turned off all the USB boot options in BIOS so that the system should boot off the Legacy SATA SSD drive which it does quite happily if the USB drive is powered down or unplugged.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

i have lots of this stuff,  extrenal devices even  3 TB drive.

No PC sated, full model name

no oS< windows 10? what?

external powered great, needs to be 2 amps on the pack no less.

so you meant PC run great , no external hdd.

so hit the F9 key like that, and boot to the SSD fails

if yes then the external HDD is failing,  why not try it on another pc.

or try all USB  jacks

or make sure the external DC pack is correct voltage with meter and at 2 amps rated.

my guess  its overloading the USB jack  power wise.

that only happens if the external power pack is dead.  for sure on any 8gb drive.

look in Disk managment yet, make sure its shows up , or if it does ,. make sure its not set to ACTIVE boot and no

autorun file in its root, id look in the root there for things that do not belong there,  mine is a back drive an is only folders off the root..

why not test this beasts on othe PC

why not state its purpose?, (i can think of many but you never said)

other issues

1: USB set to low power, in bios or turned off, or messed with some how.  leave it on, on laptops USB ports go to power down state.....

2: some poorly designed USB ports can be overloaded and mess up the SYSTEM power,  a sad story if true.

the external drive it he powerpack fails, will try to send like 6 amps of startup current to the USB

most times this just makes the drive dead or worse damages it.

or will overload the USB port for 100% sure,  startup currents are HUGE, that power pack must be good and match 8gP current load spikes.

seen this happen vast time,  and top reason is mixing up packs and not putting a lable on all packs owned

like GTECH8

i most cases a USB overload, will not block any SSD boot. ever.

but exceptions happen,  did you read the spec, on your unstated pC<  at HP, read the current limit there.

usb 3 is only 0.9amp rated, so unplug all ther USB devices to test this,  it is a shared 0.9amps.

what your pc does dont know lacking a full HP model number....

some pcs for sure LT, have gutless down graded USB ports. or got sleep, when not used.

look in CP power settings USB

look for BIOS power settings for USB.. 

the drive

G-DRIVE

or

G-RAID

G-speed

what?  it has  a real name.

what

https://support.g-technology.com/cat_Products.aspx?ID=95&lang=en

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

i have lots of this stuff,  extrenal devices even  3 TB drive.

No PC sated, full model name

no oS< windows 10? what?

external powered great, needs to be 2 amps on the pack no less.

so you meant PC run great , no external hdd.

so hit the F9 key like that, and boot to the SSD fails

if yes then the external HDD is failing,  why not try it on another pc.

or try all USB  jacks

or make sure the external DC pack is correct voltage with meter and at 2 amps rated.

my guess  its overloading the USB jack  power wise.

that only happens if the external power pack is dead.  for sure on any 8gb drive.

look in Disk managment yet, make sure its shows up , or if it does ,. make sure its not set to ACTIVE boot and no

autorun file in its root, id look in the root there for things that do not belong there,  mine is a back drive an is only folders off the root..

why not test this beasts on othe PC

why not state its purpose?, (i can think of many but you never said)

other issues

1: USB set to low power, in bios or turned off, or messed with some how.  leave it on, on laptops USB ports go to power down state.....

2: some poorly designed USB ports can be overloaded and mess up the SYSTEM power,  a sad story if true.

the external drive it he powerpack fails, will try to send like 6 amps of startup current to the USB

most times this just makes the drive dead or worse damages it.

or will overload the USB port for 100% sure,  startup currents are HUGE, that power pack must be good and match 8gP current load spikes.

seen this happen vast time,  and top reason is mixing up packs and not putting a lable on all packs owned

like GTECH8

i most cases a USB overload, will not block any SSD boot. ever.

but exceptions happen,  did you read the spec, on your unstated pC<  at HP, read the current limit there.

usb 3 is only 0.9amp rated, so unplug all ther USB devices to test this,  it is a shared 0.9amps.

what your pc does dont know lacking a full HP model number....

some pcs for sure LT, have gutless down graded USB ports. or got sleep, when not used.

look in CP power settings USB

look for BIOS power settings for USB.. 

the drive

G-DRIVE

or

G-RAID

G-speed

what?  it has  a real name.

what

https://support.g-technology.com/cat_Products.aspx?ID=95&lang=en

HP Recommended

Hi Savvy,

Thanks for your long and detailed answer. Somewhere in there was the solution. The GTech (8Tb GDrive USB3 http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-usb)  was being powered by the wrong PSU. When I swapped for the correct PSU then the z820 booted up correctly.

Previously the GTech would work perfectly well and was recognised by the PC with the other PSU if I switched it on after boot up - it would just stall the boot up if it was already on. With the correct PSU it works fine.

FYI: The z820 is Model: HP Z820 Workstation
Computer Type: Desktop
Manufactured by: Hewlett-Packard
Baseboard ID: 158B
BIOS version: 3.91 (Current Setting Group: After Effects CC)
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2643 v2 @ 3.50GHz (2 processors)
Enabled Processor Count: 24
Total Memory: 128 GB
Local Storage: 15.02 TB (5 drives)
Graphics Card & Driver: Quadro K5000 -- 375.86
Slots in use:
SLOT 2 (PCI Express Gen 3): Quadro K5000
SLOT 5 (PCI Express Gen 2 x8): Matrox Bus
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Version 1607

Hope that is enough info for you.

Thanks again

Nick

HP Recommended

@Paddywack0

For your security, go to Options> Edit and remove the Serial number above in your post.

HP Recommended

sounds to me like wrong PSU,

seems it needs ATX2 500watt or more to run this rig.

1000w I use,   and has special power wires just for the power sucking GPU card.

seems there was more wrong , just a failing external drive.

your drive does not use the USB3 power bus ever. only serial data pins.

so the failure there was on the comm pins USB>

due to power loss inside the main chassis.

HP Recommended

The stock PSU for this HPz820 is 1125w so I think that should be ample power. I think the problem was using the wrong PSU for the GTech.

Thanks again for your input.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.