Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (3,685 Views)

16 GB SSD not used

I have an HP 1350eo with a 1 TB HDD + 16 GB SSD cache. Problem is I don't really believe the cache is being used. I've installed Intel RST myself, but since the SSD is only 16 GB and RST requires a minimum of 18.3 GB RST is not usable.

Executing eccmd.exe -info tells me "Product is not licensed to run on this system.", so ExpressCache is not used either.

Looking in task manager on my Win8 system, there is absolutely no action on the SSD drive.

So how does it work? And where can I actually verify that it is active?

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 10 (3,673 Views)

Re: 16 GB SSD not used

[ Edited ]

Hi,

What version of IRST is actually installed on your PC?

I didn't know that Intel SSD data caching was available on your particular model.  Was it something that you added?

What is the exact product number and model of the SSD and/or hybrid drive?

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (3,660 Views)

IRST was NOT installed on my machine. I installed it to see if I could detect whether the SSD drive was being used, but it wasn't. Obviously.

I only saw the SSD drive when I opened my machine to plug in a new harddrive and to my surprise saw this SSD disk. The SSD has the display name: SanDisk SDSA5GK-016G-1006

Can you tell my just HOW it should have been used?

Provost
Message 4 of 10 (3,654 Views)

Glad to see that IRST WAS NOT originally installed on your PC.  The information that you have provided is say too evasive for me to continue assisting you.  Good luck.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 10 (3,643 Views)

lolwoot?!

So can anyone tell me **bleep** is going on with this disk? How is it used? Where can I see this being active? Is it just a pile of marketing garbage they place on a poster in the store?

Honor Student
Message 6 of 10 (3,584 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Dave_G

I just found this page. Hope this information is not too "evasive" for you to look at. Look under Hard drive:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03542972

Tutor
Message 7 of 10 (3,165 Views)

What was your solution?  I have the same issue.

Tutor
Message 8 of 10 (3,159 Views)

What is evasive about this post?
Student
Message 9 of 10 (2,809 Views)

Well I've only just got arround to taking out my 16GB SSD drive & listing it on the likes of Ebay.

As the specs of the PC when I bought it were:

I7 3770 processor

16GB Ram

3TB 7200 H.Drive

Blu-rayplayer

Nvidia Geforce GT 640 Graphics card

Things I've added:

2nd Blu-ray drive

Things I'm thinking of upgrading:

Graphics card

PSU (Depending on graphics card) though I'm prob best getting a 900 to 1000 watt PSU to be on the safe side in power wise in upgrading a graphics card.

Things I disapointed in the pittiful storage capacity of SDD drive. Though I guess I should have told the lot in PCWorld at the time to what go do with them selfs after they asked IF I wanted the empty case & then me having to going to overkill eplanation mode of: NO I wanted the WHOLE PC no moniter included, no empty desktop case just the whole build pc.

Student
Message 10 of 10 (1,251 Views)

I have been following your post as I have an HP Envy i7-4770 which also has this SanDisk SDSA6DM-016G-1006, and which I was also confused by. I'd be lying if I said I completely understand wtheck this thing really is and is meant for.

My Mom had actually originally puchased the machine and was told it came with a 'SSD for the O/S". I was happy to hear she had chosen to do this, it was surprisingly savvy for her, but when I bought the PC from her (was just sitting...she had discovered the delights of a MacAir Book Pro) and started looking into it..popped the hood so to speak and....looking for a "normal" SSD (imagining a 3.5" 128 GB or something)...I found nothing. After some research I found this litle guy.

'SanDisk SDSA6DM-016G-1006'  ... so naturally seeing SanDisk I started looking into the little flash drive ports on the front of the machine no one ever uses...thinking some little card was jamme in there. Nope.

SanDisk SDSA6DM-016G-1006 is an elusive little beastie....

Anyway...am I understand correctly that O/S installation and function is NOT the purpose of this little beastie? Is it just used for cache memory? CAN I upgrade this 16GB module to a 32, 64 etc etc and then use it for the O/S?

Also...no idea what that whole 'evasive' thing was about from HP. I would like some clarification on that post. These are official forums and if that post was made by support staff they need to stand up and be accounted. While teh 'evasive' comment was not directed at me, I and my family are VERY long time HP patrons I don't appreciate being spoken to like that. Address that immediately please.

Anyway....

I am sorry, I hate sticking my nose in, as you were just mentioning this in passing, but a 1000w PSU for the system you are describing is MASSIVE MASSIVE overkill. I know I know..I used to think more power=better and...you can never have enough...you are simply future proofing...if someone TOLD you you need that 1000w in an Intel system they are trying to sell you. If you had a really beefy AMD system with an AMD GPU I'd say...maybe....it would still be too much.

Intel and Nvidia? No way..not on the level you are describing. At the end of the day PSU requirements are wattage basic addition math combined with some other calculations I don't understand but you can look at your CPU, mobo, sound card, HDD(s), optical drive(s), GPU and see how many watts they require and..well..ADD 'EM UP! The build in a bunch of extra room for future growth and I'd be willing to bet a 16GB SanDisk SDSA6DM-016G-1006 that you STILL aren't at 500..much less 1000... and if you look at intel products they draw very very little wattage, less than half in many cases of their AMD counterparts. Not to mention heat which is directly related to wattage...

I RUN an AMD gaming rig and I have plenty of room to spare using a 750w platinum + PSU (the gold+ and up is important in steady, not spikey ([picture a graph]} power supply to your system. Spikey=bad and can damage parts.

I just hate to see you spend hundreds of dollars on a 1000 watt monster that takes 10 years to actually get to a point where you need it..and by then you'll have a solar powered PC anyway :)

LAST QUESTION: Is this SanDisk SDSA6DM-016G-1006 like a low level, cheap replacement for having an M.2 slot? Thought just occurred to me.

OK..thanks guys....appreciate any help!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation