Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One 32-a1050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How to find the HP ENVY All-in-One 32-a1050 M.2 Internal Storage expansion slots documentation for upgrading?

The computer description claims 2 expansion slots but they are not located in the area with the original drive.

The new All-in One desktop support documentation does not include any upgrade information. My previous purchases have always been desktop towers with included instructions to upgrading components.

The excellent HP Support channel on YouTube has a great video on All-in-One Removing & Replacing Parts | HP Envy 32 All-in-One PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQwezVOzivk

However, it does not show where to find the M.2 Internal Storage expansion slots for All-in-One PC.

Unsuccessfully cloned the original 1 TB M.2 Internal Storage

1. cloned to a WD Black Sata Hard drive using external hard drive enclosure

2. removed the 1TB M,2 and replaced it with SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe

3. could not get the system to to boot-up using the cloned WD Black Sata Hard drive in order to clone this drive to the new SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe replacement/upgrade

Expansion slots will be very helpful in getting the operation system cloned to a newly installed SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe

Any suggestions would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Webcreator

I face everyday this kind of problem advising computers to my customers. I often need to double or triple check on port usability (is that port used by Wifi) and availability (When it's written available, is it really or does it have a device already connected).

As 

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Webcreator,

Your computer does have two M.2 connectors: one is used for M.2 NVMe SSD and the other is used for your WLAN card.

The mistake is that both ports have the same connector's name but they are designed for a different use.

Regarding the upgrade of your M.2 from 1TB to 2 TB, I advice you not to clone but to backup the 1TB to USB then to restore on the 2TB.

Usually, I use Medicat Toolkit to clone or backup hard drives.

Medicat is a toolkit which aims at providing a bootable toolkit in order to help in general computer repair.
In order to use Medicat, you will need an USB key with 21 GB available (in the best scenario, you will use an empty key to prevent data loss in it), to copy Medicat content and, to make bootable your USB key.
Following the Medicat official thread's link will provide you all the necessary informations: the downloading link and the method to make your USB key bootable (https://gbatemp.net/threads/medicat-usb-a-multiboot-linux-usb-for-pc-repair.361577/)

In order to backup to an external USB hard drive with sufficient available space, you can do as follows:
     1 - Temporarily disable Secure Boot via UEFI BIOS,
     2 - Boot up Medicat from USB (you'll need a 32Gb USB drive) and launch Acronis TrueImage 2018,
     3 - Backup your current hard drive to your external hard drive,
     4 - Open carefully your computer (warranty can void, you may damage your computer so be careful),
     5 - Extract currentdrive and mount the new drive and reassemble your computer,
     6 - Boot up Medicat (you'll need a 32Gb USB drive) and launch Acronis TrueImage 2018,
     7 - Restore your backup to the new SSD,
     8 - Enable back Secure Boot,
     9 - Profit !

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂
HP Recommended

Very helpful suggestions for moving from 1TB to 2 TB. I will incorporate the your detailed steps using Acronis 2021 installed in the computer.

I am still confused about the two available expansion slots. Yes I do understand the labeling and it did not occur to me when talking about "hard drives."

Is the future of HP specifications LISTED AS two expansion slots for hard drives will be defined this way?

Expansion Slots
2 M.2

Does this mean I purchased a computer without the capacity to "add" two M.2 in the expansion slots because they are already in use?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-all-in-one-pc-32-a1000i/32482438/document/c06962982

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you look at the motherboard specification sheet you see more in detail what the expansion slots are and what they can be used for (among other things)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-all-in-one-pc-32-a1000i/32482438/model/2100019394/docum...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi Webcreator

I face everyday this kind of problem advising computers to my customers. I often need to double or triple check on port usability (is that port used by Wifi) and availability (When it's written available, is it really or does it have a device already connected).

As 

HP Recommended

Buying a computer would have been easier if it was a desktop tower. I can easily find a motherboard image for a tower. Anyone have a snapshot of an ALL-in-One for this model? A list of descriptions does not replace an image like my old HP Envy Phoenix https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-810-200-desktop-pc-series/6879036/model/6935527...

HP Recommended

To Antoine_F

Where did you get his information for 2.5 SSD slot available?

I have a WD 3 TB SSD I removed from my old Phoenix Tower. I purchased a HD Enclosure to access it from the ALL-in-One. I would love to eliminate the clutter of an external drive.

HP Recommended

Hi Webcreator

Thank you for accepted solution and the kudos :-).
I saw the 2.5'' slot on the video you provided @19m40

I hope you have one in your All-In-One.

HP Recommended

Yes. I saw that video. However, I did not notice it on my ALL-in-One until I realized there is no cage/caddy included.

Do you know where I can find part numbers for a 2.5 SSD caddy to fit with cables?

I have several caddies but they are not convertible styles which is too big in height to fit this AIO. Or they were adapter styles with cables, also convertible 3.5.

I found several options in multiple online stores but nothing specific to AIO 32 screen size.

Installing Western Digital 2TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS200T2B0A

HP Recommended

You should check on HP Part Surfer. It will provide you at least the references of the parts you need.

If you don't find what you are looking for, you still can send me (here or via personal message) the serial number of your machine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.