Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
23q113w Pavillion all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Would like to upgrade wireless card (792204-001) to dual band.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, a SSD will really make a difference over a mechanical hard drive.

The specs for your PC indicate that it has a 3.5" hard drive, so you will need a 3.5" to 2.5" caddy to mount the smaller SSD if that is the case.

Before installing the replacement card, go to the windows control panel>programs>uninstall a program.

If there is any Realtek bluetooth software installed, uninstall it.

Then to to the device manager and uninstall both the Realtek bluetooth and Realtek wifi adapters, and check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC, and install the replacement card.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

How many antenna wires does your PC have connected to the Realtek 8723BE wifi card in there now...one or two?

HP Recommended

Two 

20200624_113755.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi:

I recommend this card for your model...

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Wireless-Ac-9260-2230-Gigabit/dp/B079QH5KW1

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thank you for your help. I have upgraded the cpu to i5-4590T and added more ram. My last upgrade will be a ssd and this wifi upgrade is just the icing on the cake. Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, a SSD will really make a difference over a mechanical hard drive.

The specs for your PC indicate that it has a 3.5" hard drive, so you will need a 3.5" to 2.5" caddy to mount the smaller SSD if that is the case.

Before installing the replacement card, go to the windows control panel>programs>uninstall a program.

If there is any Realtek bluetooth software installed, uninstall it.

Then to to the device manager and uninstall both the Realtek bluetooth and Realtek wifi adapters, and check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC, and install the replacement card.

HP Recommended

You answered my next question about how to install it. Thanks for all your help, I just ordered the wifi card from Amazon and will give it a whirl when it arrives.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

W10 should automatically install the drivers for the wifi and bluetooth, and once that is done, you can get the latest drivers from Intel at the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/99445/Intel-Wireless-AC-9260

HP Recommended

One other word of caution...

Those wires are very thin/small and delicate, and so are the terminals on the wifi card.

I thought it would be easy to replace an Intel 7265 AC wifi card with the 9260 so I could have double the throughput.

The card was mounted on a PCIe x1 adapter that is used for internal wifi on desktop PC's.

Well, I just went in there like gangbusters, using just my fingers, tried to disconnect the cables from the terminals, and the doggone terminals of the wifi card broke off, and got stuck into those miniscule antenna connectors on the cables.

It took me an hour with a jeweler's loupe, tweezers, needles, etc, to gouge and pry the broken terminals out of the antenna connectors on the cables.

Fortunately, I didn't break the cables.

So, here is a video for a notebook PC (which I found afterward of course), for how to properly detach an antenna cable from a M.2 wifi card.  It is for a notebook PC, but the same method to remove the cables would apply.

https://www.supportvideos.ext.hp.com/detail/video/5976309731001/how-to-replace-the-wireless-module-f...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.