Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
27-a227c Pavilion all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got my sister this a couple years ago for it's simplicity.  It's main downside was no SSD.   

I tried replacing the HDD with an SSD and broke it.  I've replaced dozens if not hundreds of HDDs over the years (IT Manager).  I haven't seen such an unserviceable design since about 1995, except maybe today's pads that are only made to be factory serviced.

I was able to return the broken one and get another (Costco).

Question:  Is there any way to upgrade to an SSD or is this just built in obsolescence?  Does HP offer this service?  Will a repair center have the same issues, or are there special tricks?

If not, this is extremely poor design.  If nothing else, hard drives fail.  If yes, then how do you recommend I proceed?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Incorrect.   It does not have an SSD.  From what I've read, it's even missing the M2 slot for one (it wasn't soldered in).

The newer models do come with an SSD + HDD, but even then I'm not sure if they're accessible, as they should be.

I found a PC Repair depot that said they use heaters to dismantle it without likelihood of damage for $150 (labor only).

So at this point, I'm just venting.   I'll never buy another HP All-in-One.  Even if it had an SSD, there's no viable way to replace it should it fail or require upgrade.

HP Recommended

@Vich63 

According to the model number, it has an M.2 SSD  and an 1TB Sata data drive.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.