Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
GT13-0000a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to source a suitable SATA data cable that will allow me to install a second 3.5" HDD into the 30L chassis; the right-angled SATA cable on the preinstalled 3.5" drive is very low profile.

I've tried third-party 90° drive head cables by Akasa and CableMatters, both of which protrude beyond the case edge by a few mm, meaning the hinged tool-free side panel will not close and lock.

If anyone can recommend a suitable low profile SATA data cable which will allow me to install a second 3.5" HDD into the 30L chassis, it'd be appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I finally found a SATA data cable which is sufficiently low-profile enough at the drive connection end so as to allow me to install a secondary 3.5" HDD into the 30L chassis and let me close/lock the side panel. German company Kabel Direkt had a sleeved, braided cable in 60cm length that fits near perfectly (I'd have opted for the 30cm one instead, but it was out of stock)

Anyway, here's their product page, should anyone else need to install a 3.5" HDD drive into the very neat confines of the 30L's drive carriages.

https://kabeldirekt-store.de/index.php/computer-netzwerk/sata/lightning-kabel-slim-nylonnetz.html

The below shows the cable as installed, with a hairsbreadth of clearance between the moulded cable head, and the 30L side panel.

90 degree SATA data cable connected to 3.5" drive inside 30L chassis' drive carriage90 degree SATA data cable connected to 3.5" drive inside 30L chassis' drive carriage 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I finally found a SATA data cable which is sufficiently low-profile enough at the drive connection end so as to allow me to install a secondary 3.5" HDD into the 30L chassis and let me close/lock the side panel. German company Kabel Direkt had a sleeved, braided cable in 60cm length that fits near perfectly (I'd have opted for the 30cm one instead, but it was out of stock)

Anyway, here's their product page, should anyone else need to install a 3.5" HDD drive into the very neat confines of the 30L's drive carriages.

https://kabeldirekt-store.de/index.php/computer-netzwerk/sata/lightning-kabel-slim-nylonnetz.html

The below shows the cable as installed, with a hairsbreadth of clearance between the moulded cable head, and the 30L side panel.

90 degree SATA data cable connected to 3.5" drive inside 30L chassis' drive carriage90 degree SATA data cable connected to 3.5" drive inside 30L chassis' drive carriage 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.