Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-0000i (8BG56AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, so please bear with me.

I recently bought 2x16gb 3200 MHz ram after researching my motherboard a little, the ram that I bought has the ability to run at 3200MHz, 2933MHz (my motherboards top speed), and 2666MHz. I've recently realized that it's running at 2666MHz. After looking into it, I found out that to reach 2933MHz I have to enable XMP. From what I've seen, HP doesn't support XMP on this motherboard at all.

Is there any way to get my ram to run at 2933MHz, or am I stuck with the 2666MHz that it's currently running at and would have to just buy ram that is directly 2933MHz? If I do end up keeping the ram, and it is impossible to make it run at 2933MHz on this computer, will I notice much of a difference, particularly in gaming, by running at 2666MHz instead of 2933MHz? The CPU is an Intel i5 10400f.

Kind regards,
LibreNyaa
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LibreNyaa 

Its motherboard

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c06638240

which supports

• Dual channel memory architecture (One DIMM per channel)
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-23400 (DDR4-2933)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 32 GB (unbuffered) with two 16 GB DIMMs on 64-bit systems

You can install higher speed RAM (such as 3200MHz) but it will run at 2933MHz

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I've installed 3200MHz ram already, but my issue is that it is running at 2666MHz instead of 2933MHz. I have the ram in the following link installed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C4LXXCJ?psc=1

LibreNyaa_0-1660450105261.png

Kind regards,
LibreNyaa
HP Recommended

@LibreNyaa,

The general consensus in terms of gaming performance is that you most likely would not notice much or any difference in real world gaming between 2666 MHz and 2933 MHz RAM.

What would make a difference, in my opinion, is to upgrade to an Intel i7-10700 or i7-10700F, and (you probably have done so already), making an M.2 NVMe SSD as your primary (boot) drive.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice, I will likely be upgrading to an i7-10700f in the future, and I am using an M.2 NVMe SSD as my main drive currently.

So, in terms of gaming, I won't really notice the difference in my ram speed between 2666 and 2933MHz. Are there any cases I can run into in normal computer use or programming use where the MHz difference would be noticeable?

Thanks again for your advice.

Kind regards,
LibreNyaa
HP Recommended

@LibreNyaa,

No, you will not notice much difference if at all.  For most games and most computer (graphics) software applications, it is the graphics card, your processor, your drive(s) and having sufficient RAM (16GB minimum running in dual-channel mode) that really makes the difference.

For your peace of mind, let me quote a secondary professional opinion such as this one:

NonSequitur777_0-1660518261181.png

Link: (4) Can you feel the difference between 2666 MHz and 3200 MHz RAM during gaming? - Quora

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.