Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-126
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About 10 days ago I received the 511-CPU fan not detected at startup with F1 boot at the bottom of the page. Hit F1 and system started successfully. Have not had any performance issues that I'm aware of since that incident. Opened the case today and found a dirty CPU fan that turned freely. Cleaned it with compressed air. Plugged the power cord back in and turned the unit back on. The other fans ran at startup but the CPU fan did not run.  I powered the unit off and unplugged the power cord. Plugged in the monitor and external hard drives and plugged the power cord back to the PC.  Got the 511 error message again. Hit F1 and system booted up just fine. Continues to run without any issues. 

Is this simply a bad CPU fan that needs to be replaced or could there be something else going on?  PC is almost 5 years old and sees daily usage with relatively light duty. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MJM76 , welcome to the Community.

Without being able to inspect the fan, I believe that it is most likely the bearings failing.  Sometimes when dust gets heavy on the fan it can get into the bearings.  I suggest replacing the fan.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.