Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp 590 0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have used Acronis and AOMEI with terrible results (WD black NVME m.2 500 GB). Trying to clone my SATA C: drive to a NVME m.2 internally and it will not boot. Same error each time In accessible boot device. Bios settings are correct with the correct boot device selected. All new/up to date hardware, OS,  and FW. Drive works as a data drive with no issues.

Must be a really deep issue! Rocket science eh!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try clean installing W10 on the SSD by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

Temporarily disconnect the SATA drive before installing W10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After W10 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

I have two thoughts about you dilemma.

1. If Windows is on the 3.5" drive, the PC will always want to boot from that drive first, no matter what drive is selected as the first boot device.

2.  You cloned a SATA boot structure to a NVMe drive, which uses a totally different drive controller to boot from, so the drivers may be 'off kilter.'

Anyway, you can experiment with this suggestion and have your results in less than 30 minutes.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-590-p0000-desktop-pc-series/19390500

HP Recommended

Gave up for awhile to research all of this. Saw a post at Samsung that they had just pushed some required files for a NVME M.2 before cloning.  Interesting no one else has addressed this issue.

I have a MX 500 2.5" SSD which works perfect and is used for the source to clone. The M.2 does show and work for data and also shows in boot sequence in the BIOS. Just won't boot.

So I am getting a Samsung 980 pro in the next few weeks for testing. At that point I will try an external and internal clone to see what happens with the Samsung version of the software. Just hate messing with cables as I may have dorked a connection on a cable-end the last time.

Did a manual upgrade of the last FW / so odd as I thought I had the current version??????? Does the FW check your current version before wiping? Anyway I noticed that someone in the space time continuum did a FW update on a 590 that fixed the issue. Maybe!!!!!!

This incapability of different drives that are in common use on most new systems is baffling at best. M.2 has been out a long time.

HP Recommended

I sure hope you can get it to work.

I just got my hands on a Dell Optiplex 7050 tower PC with the i7-7700 processor and it has a slot that supports NVMe drives.

I have a Crucial P5 500 GB expected to arrive today, so I hope I don't run into any difficulties.

I am going to disconnect the current 2.5" SATA SSD it came with and clean install W10 on the NVMe SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.