Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello, i recently bought a HP ENVY h8-1437c, Windows 8, I replaced the (NVIDIA GeForce GT 620) With a (Sapphire HD 7770 1GB GDDR5). I hooked up the 6 pin power and made sure that the card is seated properly multipule times.  On startup I get 6 long beeps along with the power LED flashing. Then a few seconds later the power LED turns blue and the PC starts up fine. The card seems to be working fine as well. I have played games on the max settings with no issues, where as before the GeForce card couldent do this. I was reading across the web that it might have something to do with the BIOS secured boot enabled, so I disabled it with no change, same 6 long beep then the PC starts up fine. I guess my question is, is this okay that it beeps? Is it causing any internal issues? The only things I have done so far are adding the video card software, disabled secure boot (using the old GeForce card to get into BIOS) and reseat the new vid card/6pin power wire. Thanks for the help and let me know if you need more info.

Here is the link for my computer specs just in case. 

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03517380&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

-Micah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Sarge1D,

Go back into the bios and switch from UEFI mode to Legacy mode. There might be a slight incompatability between the Sapphire video card and the HP bios.

Post your results.

As side note:  I suggested in a post a while back that HP do exactly what you are experiencing to allow video cards that have a vbios function difference compared to the bios in the HP PC (beep 6 times as a warning but allow the PC to boot).

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53
HP Recommended

Hi,

Based on the following document, 6 beeps ONLY show in this group:

4, 5, 6, 7 Fatal errors related to the operation of critical motherboard components - such as the CPU.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bph07107

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have seen this page. Accroding to this it is saying.

Power button LED blinks 6 times with 6 beeps

Video Card or Graphics

This is where I become lost. Everything seems to be working fine. Even with the beeps. I doubt it is any failure because my computer is working. Any other ideas? Thanks for the reply. 

HP Recommended

Hi Sarge1D,

Go back into the bios and switch from UEFI mode to Legacy mode. There might be a slight incompatability between the Sapphire video card and the HP bios.

Post your results.

As side note:  I suggested in a post a while back that HP do exactly what you are experiencing to allow video cards that have a vbios function difference compared to the bios in the HP PC (beep 6 times as a warning but allow the PC to boot).

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Dave, I did EXACTLY what you said. I went from UEFI mode to Legacy mode. That simple. I hope this change dosen't cause any other isses later :LaughingTears: (I don't know much about BIOS) Thanks for all the help. To anyone having the same issues I had, so what Dave said. 

HP Recommended

How do you change to legacy mode?

HP Recommended

Hi raw200j,

Please post the exact HP product number for your PC.

Was your PC delivered with Windows 8?

HP Recommended
It came with windows 8 and I have the hp envy h-8 1437c
HP Recommended

Hi raw2000j,

Why do you want to change to Legacy mode?

Tap the ESC key after powering up the PC and then go to computer setup (f10). Now go to the Security topics and select Security Boot Configuration and disable secure boot and finally enable legacy mode.  See the below example:

Angelica secure boot.jpg

I see that there is bios update posted for your PC. You might want to consider applying the bios update before making any bios changes.  Check with HP Support to make sure that the bios update is compatible with your particular model since it appears to be posted for a Compaq PC.

HP Recommended
Ok thx I did it reason I did it was the 6 long beeps when installing new video card now it doesnt beep and card is working thx 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.