Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6510y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello! I was hoping to get some further help on upgrading an older system's processor. Seems HP wont take an email query without a valid warranty. I hope someone here can guide me in the right direction.

The help page list on site seems dated/incomplete. There's several processor models that say they are compatible with the AM3 socket, but don't show on the list here. Like the Bxx, or X6 versions of the Phenoms. Are these compatible? Is there a full list of current processors that I can use in this system?

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

he list is not dated. It is from 2010.  the notebook is no longer produced nor sold by HP.

Socket AM3 mobile CPU products are not that easy to find any longer since current notebooks do not use them.

The CPUs that are listed on the  following document are stated to be compatible with your notebook as upgrade candidates.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6500-Desktop-PC-series/4162263/model/4223472/docume...

Any CPU model other than what is listed as compatible is unlikely to be supported by the BIOS.

If you install an unsupported CPU, you may very well find that you have a notebook which does not boot. It may also provide you with an "unsupported CPU"  error message when you try to boot to Windows.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

he list is not dated. It is from 2010.  the notebook is no longer produced nor sold by HP.

Socket AM3 mobile CPU products are not that easy to find any longer since current notebooks do not use them.

The CPUs that are listed on the  following document are stated to be compatible with your notebook as upgrade candidates.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6500-Desktop-PC-series/4162263/model/4223472/docume...

Any CPU model other than what is listed as compatible is unlikely to be supported by the BIOS.

If you install an unsupported CPU, you may very well find that you have a notebook which does not boot. It may also provide you with an "unsupported CPU"  error message when you try to boot to Windows.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you. I had wondered if there was more to it than simply mathing the socket type. If the list is kept current, then I'm assuming any BIOS update didn't add any further support for later processors. Oh well, I certainly don't need a desktop sized paperweight. 

It's served me well, but maybe time to look at a whole upgrade. Thanks again for the informative reply, much appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.