Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-467c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all!

I have the HP Envy Desktop (750-467c). I would like to upgrade the standard hard drive to an SSD. I see that there is an M.2 slot (M.2 socket 1, key A) on the motherboard. Is it available to use for an M.2 style SSD? If so, what do I need to know about my options that will work in the slot?

If it is not available, is there a PCIe slot?

Many thanks,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mschmalf, welcome to the forum.

The slot in question is used as follows:

Key      Card measurements          Interfaces
 A           1630, 2230, 3030             PCIe x2, USB 2.0, I2C, DisplayPort x4

Common uses
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, cellular cards

It will not work for installing a M.2 SSD.  There is a PCI Express x1 slot that can be used for a SSD.  Here is an example of the card that you can use.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mschmalf, welcome to the forum.

The slot in question is used as follows:

Key      Card measurements          Interfaces
 A           1630, 2230, 3030             PCIe x2, USB 2.0, I2C, DisplayPort x4

Common uses
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, cellular cards

It will not work for installing a M.2 SSD.  There is a PCI Express x1 slot that can be used for a SSD.  Here is an example of the card that you can use.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks Old_Geekster!

I was hoping to get a performance boost by using a faster connection than the standard sata connections. I appreciate your help!

Mike

HP Recommended

I was looking at that drive and a few others. It looks like perhaps this Plextor may be a touch better and run cooler with its heatsink and at basically the same price. Any issue with this one that would prevent its use?

Plextor M8Pe 256GB HHHL PCIe NVMe Internal Solid State Drive with Heatsink (PX-256M8PeY)

Also, I have installed the latest BIOS firmware. Are there any other BIOS or Win10 settings needed to make one of these run optimally?

Thanks,

Mike

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @mschmalf.

You should make certain that the BIOS is set to RAID or ACHI.  This is necessary for a SSD to work properly.  I suggest choosing the SSD that you want and contacting the manufacturer's Tech Support to assure that it will work with your system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.