Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G2 Microtower PC

Hello people.

I have a problem with starting my desktop PC (ProDesk 400 G2). When I push the power button motherboard send 8 long beeps to PCSpeaker. No video signal on display. When i remove the CPU the signal is reproduced 3 long beeps. When RAM removed I still hear 8 beeps (The memory is working, tested on another PC). I tried to install an external video card, but to no avail. No third-party hardware is installed.

The HP manual says only about light signals, which I don't have. And not a word about sound.

UPD: I took out the battery and pressed the button on the motherboard (CMOS is written next to it), but it didn't help. Maybe I did something wrong, for the first time I see a button on the motherboard.

Please help me understand what the computer wants from me. Thank you in advance for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This is the link to the latest BIOS update for your PC.

Driver - HP ProDesk 400 G2 Microtower PC | HP® Customer Support

You can download the file on another PC and run it.

A window will open and present the various options you have to install the BIOS, or you can use the free 7-Zip file utility to extract the exe file into its folder and you can explore the file contents of the BIOS folder that way.

7-Zip

I have zipped up and attached below the html file with the various methods to update the BIOS for your PC.

This is the same file that is within the above BIOS update file.

I have never tried to recover a PC with a corrupt BIOS, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

Hopefully, you will be able to follow the instructions and get it fixed.

Otherwise, the motherboard would need to be replaced.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your PC.

c04529143.pdf (hp.com)

Chapter 8. page 126 of the manual has the troubleshooting steps for the 8-beep code error.

HP Recommended

Thank you for such a detailed answer. I guessed it was the BIOS. And do I need to flash it with an external programming device?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This is the link to the latest BIOS update for your PC.

Driver - HP ProDesk 400 G2 Microtower PC | HP® Customer Support

You can download the file on another PC and run it.

A window will open and present the various options you have to install the BIOS, or you can use the free 7-Zip file utility to extract the exe file into its folder and you can explore the file contents of the BIOS folder that way.

7-Zip

I have zipped up and attached below the html file with the various methods to update the BIOS for your PC.

This is the same file that is within the above BIOS update file.

I have never tried to recover a PC with a corrupt BIOS, unfortunately I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

Hopefully, you will be able to follow the instructions and get it fixed.

Otherwise, the motherboard would need to be replaced.

HP Recommended

You really are an expert!

The manual says that eight beeps means the Emergency Recovery Mode of the Boot Block is looking for media with BIOS update files. So you just had to insert a FAT32 flash drive with the necessary files! 

You are my savior!

HP Recommended

That is great news you were able to recover your PC's BIOS and get your PC to work again.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.