Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
8200 Elite SFF, XL510AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Description: 8200 Elite SFF, 8 GB RAM, x64 Win 10 Pro version 1909, 250GB HDD, BIOS 02.33, EFI, MBD NIC, MBD VGA, no add-in adapter cards.

Actions: Bare metal (clean install). Turned off all options available on install path.  All other options default. Appeared to be normal install in all aspects. Installed OS only; no other apps. Boot and logon normal. Ran and passed (sfc, chkdsk /scan, and dism /restore health) with no errors.

Symptoms: Win 10 update cycle takes 30 to 45 minutes. Comes back with the following:

"There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x8024401c)."

Other: OSI layer 3 checks OK; layers 4 - 7 fails or is flaky

Anyone care to comment?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I can only suggest trying the Windows Update Troubleshooter (Link).

You have a clean install and ran OS and disk integrity checks.

I don't know why a clean W10 install can't update??

Never had this problem with clean W10 installations on older PCs that shipped with W7 or W8.x.

Try this BIOS update (Link) at your own risk. This link is based on the product number (XL510AV) supplied in your post.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the assist.

Troubleshooter indicated certain changes had been made but no joy.

Am investigating the BIOS suggested. Will most likely try. If do so, will report back on this thread. Do you know if reversal is possible?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

I did not check if you can go back to an older BIOS version.

Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.