Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
8200 Elite Small Form Factor
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

To Whom It May Concern,

Starting a thread on this forum in hopes that someone else has encountered the same issue, and, arrived at a solution.

Or at the very minimum, a workaround.

At my employer, I use an older Desktop PC, model is HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor. O/S is Win7 Enterprise, 64-bit.

Previously, for using my Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, as well as headphones, I used a USB Bluetooth adapter.

My employer has recently locked down our USB ports. As such, the USB Bluetooth adapter is no longer an option.

After further inquiry, I learned that while USB is locked down, the PCI-e slot on the motherboard is not.

So, at my own expense, I purchased a PCI-e card (Silverstone ECM20, http://amzn.com/B01798WOJ0) and an Intel 3160 card.

I removed all Bluetooth software / drivers as related to the aforementioned USB Bluetooth adapter.

Upon installation, the Wi-Fi node of the 3160 is detected, Windows installs a driver. Afterward, I am also able to install Intel's Wi-Fi driver. Use is poor, it will initially get a connection, then, seems to cease after just a few minutes.

Bluetooth on the 3160 is simply not detected in Windows Device Manager. That said, Windows 7 does allow for installation of Intel's Bluetooth driver.

The problem appears similar to that noted in this thread... https://communities.intel.com/message/253153#253153

Upon doing more research, using Scotch tape...

I covered pin 51

, then,

covered pin 20

, then,

covered both pins 20 and 51.

All without success, the Bluetooth module on the 3160 is simply not detected in Windows Device Manager.

I later tried a different combo Wi-Fi / Bluetooth card (pulled from spouse's old laptop when I upgraded her to an Intel 7260). Its an Atheros based card, under the manufacturer name Azurewave, Atheros AR9002WB-1NG.

Like the Intel 3160, I can install Wi-Fi drivers and usage is limited. Also, like the Intel 3160, Bluetooth is simply not detected in Windows Device Manager.  Unlike the Intel 3160, I cannot install Azurewave's Bluetooth software.

Upon doing more research, I suspect that either the BIOS on this computer might have a whitelist, or, that the BIOS needs to be updated in order to identify Bluetooth. That said, I'm unable to locate any such whitelist for this particular model!

Currently installed...

BIOS - J01 V02.06 (I'll assume that HP would refer to this as version 2.06)
    ME Firmware - 7.1.3.1053

...HP currently has the following versions available for download...

BIOS - 2.29A
    ME Firmware - 7.1.86.1221

So, a few questions...

1) Can anyone confirm if this model, HP Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor, does indeed have a whitelist?
        1a) If so, can you point me to it?
    2) Would simply installing a newer BIOS omit said whitelist?

Please note, I have no requirement for Wi-Fi functionality, only Bluetooth. Above, I mention the Wi-Fi to note both that it is detected, and, at least somewhat usable.

Thank you!

Burkert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.