Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-100 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings, folks.

I've got a quick question. Less than two years ago, I purchased my desktop with 4 sticks of 8GB DDR4 memory so I could do video editing. Then about a week ago, I began having a lot of BSoDs that rebooted my PC over and over. After using MemTest86, I found out one of my RAM sticks went bad and removing it fixed the BSoD issues. However, it left me with 24GB of memory... and a question.

My 1 year HP warranty expired back in January of this year (of course), so I looked up the RAM manufacturer (SK Hynix). However, they stated to go through my place of purchase for RMAs and warranty stuff. Well, most memory sticks come with a 3 year warranty when you buy them (if not a lifetime one). So my question is, am I SOL and my RAM sticks were only covered by the 1 year warranty, or does a RAM stick dying after less than two years of use fall outside of that 1 year warranty and I can still RMA it with HP for a replacement?

Thanks for your time and any info you can give me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ceht

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

My own experience is that any components included with an OEM PC are only warrantied by that OEM for the original warranty term.  So, HP is not going to cover the memory sticks for longer than the original warranty.

You could check with the RAM supplier, but my guess is they will disallow any separate warranty and go with only the HP warranty.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Ceht

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

My own experience is that any components included with an OEM PC are only warrantied by that OEM for the original warranty term.  So, HP is not going to cover the memory sticks for longer than the original warranty.

You could check with the RAM supplier, but my guess is they will disallow any separate warranty and go with only the HP warranty.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

That's more or less what I figured. Guess I'll have to wait until DDR4 memory goes down in price after the demand for it in smart phones lessens. $90 per 8GB stick's a bit much.

Thanks for the reply, WAWood.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.