Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 580-100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased the Pavilion 580-100na a couple of months ago and have a couple of questions: 
(1) PSU upgrade - I would like to know if it possible to upgrade to 300w PSU to 500w PSU [also need to know where to get the part from]

(2) GPU 1060 (3GB) upgrade - I would like to know if it possible to upgrade the card to a 1060 (6GB) I have found two cards to do this with and looking at the size of the original GPU and the replacements they are different sized. 

1st choice (a larger card than the one on the specs for the 580):

https://www.ebuyer.com/769693-msi-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-gddr5-oc-v1-graphics-card-gtx-1060-6gt-ocv1#

2nd choice roughly the same size as the original:
https://www.ebuyer.com/752926-zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-graphics-card-ebuyer-com-zt-p10600a-10l

(1) is related to (2) as the 6GB cards need more power and thats why I want a 500w PSU. Thank you and look forward to a reply. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@leightonm , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  It appears that the PSU is a standard ATX.  Therefore, any standard ATX PSU should work fine.  I like Corsair products.  You should measure the existing PSU and compare those measurements to the one that you choose to assure that it will fit.  I always recommend at least 100W to 150W more than the video card requires.

Either of the video cards should work fine with your motherboard.  I suggest that you measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where the card will be installed.  The Zotac card is 6.85 inches (17.4 cm) in length and the MSI card is 9.57 inches (24.3 cm) in length.  As you stated, both of the cards require an additional supplemental 6-pin power connector.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@leightonm , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  It appears that the PSU is a standard ATX.  Therefore, any standard ATX PSU should work fine.  I like Corsair products.  You should measure the existing PSU and compare those measurements to the one that you choose to assure that it will fit.  I always recommend at least 100W to 150W more than the video card requires.

Either of the video cards should work fine with your motherboard.  I suggest that you measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where the card will be installed.  The Zotac card is 6.85 inches (17.4 cm) in length and the MSI card is 9.57 inches (24.3 cm) in length.  As you stated, both of the cards require an additional supplemental 6-pin power connector.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.