cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nedro
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Adapting HP Z240 600 Watt PSU to work with an HP 210 CMT Workstation that has a 400 Watt PSU

HP Recommended
HP Z210 CMT Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Z210 CMT Workstation with a 400W PSU and want to Upgrade it to a more powerful PSU.

I was already able to Mount a Hefty Corsair 850W STANDARD Fully Modular PSU in the Z210 Case with just 2 #6 Holes Drilled and a clever Filler Plate to Fill the Gap at the Top of the PSU - It Mounts SOLIDLY.. the only issue is to purchase a 28Pin to 18Pin Motherboard Power Connector compatible with the Z210 (found ONE on eBay).

My Other Solution is to simply Plug in an HP 600W Z240 Power Supply into my Z210...

Many Posts Regarding This Claim that (1) the Pinouts for the two PSU are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT, and (2) one even states that they are probably KEYED Differently. (3) These posts FAILED to give ANY Specifics as to the Power Pinouts of these Two PSU and (4) NONE Even Backed up their Claims with Links to the Pertinent Documents which one could use to Verify this..

Since I already have an HP Z240 600W PSU, I decided to check out the Power Connectors compared to the Z210 400W PSU.

(A) I found that THEY ARE KEYED EXACTLY THE SAME, (B) The ONLY Problem was that the 400W PSU had a 4Pin CPU Power Connector to the Motherboard, while the 600W PSU had an 8Pin Connector.

(C) Researching this I found an 8Pin Female to 8Pin (4+4) Male Adapter for $12+Change for TWO! and CAREFULLY checking out the Excellent Pictures BEFORE Buying found that they should work just fine.

So (D) I tried a Test Case by Unplugging the 400W PSU and the Two Connectors to my SSD and HD that was needed to Boot Windows 10, Plugged the 600W into the Motherboard, using the 8Pin Female to 8Pin (4+4) Male Adapter plugged the CPU Power into the Motherboard, and Voila, Up Came Windows 10 with NOT WARNING BEEPS OR ERROR MESSAGES.

If anyone could Confirm or Contradict my IMPERICAL Findings I would Love to hear BEFORE Putting this 600W PSU into FULL 24/7 Operation - NEDRO

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation