Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk Desktop 875-1055xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Omen Obelisk 875-1055xt (3UQ93AA#ABA) has two M.2 2280 slots (labeled SSD1 and SSD2) and two HDD SATA connectors (labeled HDD 1 and HDD2) on the Shire Motherboard.  I currently have two hard drives - one SSD and one HDD SATA.
The C drive is a Toshiba 256GB PCIe Gen 3.1x4L NVMe SSD (KXG50ZNV256G).  It is installed in the M.2 2280 slot (SSD1) on the motherboard.  This is the primary drive that stores WIndows 10 and the computer boots from.
The D drive is a Toshiba 3.5" 1TB SATA HDD (DT01ACA100).  It is installed in the 3.5" bay and connects to the HDD SATA connector (HDD1) on the motherboard.  This is the secondary drive and is used for storage/data.

I want to add a 3rd drive - a second SSD connected to the M.2 2280 slot (SSD 2).  

The computer has the 9th Gen i7-9700K processor (3.6GHz) and the Shire 8509 Micro ATX Motherboard with Z390 chipset.  Current Bios is F.11.  The second M.2 2280 slot on the motherboard is empty.  It is covered with a black cover that is labeled SSD2.  The motherboard also says SSD2.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06218898?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

Is adding a 2nd SSD as easy as plugging one in and turning the computer on?  Will the computer accept a 2nd SSD? Do I need to change any BIOS settings or configure the drive within Windows 10?  Any insights/tips would be appreciated.

HP Omen 875 1055xt.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The M.2 expansion slot (SSD2) on the Omen Obelisk 875-1055xt is indeed "available."  Adding a 2nd SSD was easy.

I removed the black cover over SSD2 and the rubber taped to the motherboard behind the cover.  I installed a 1TB Corsair MP510 NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 (M.2 2280) SSD into the SSD2 slot.  When I turned on the computer it booted for about 5 seconds then shutdown.  The computer then turned itself on again and booted normally to Windows 10 (no changes to the BIOS settings were needed).  I used 'Disk Management" to initialize and format the SSD.  I assigned it drive letter E.   Both the computer and new drive are running great.  No issues.  

HP Omen SSD2.jpeg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

When I try to configure the OMEN Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-1040st on store.hp.com (CTO), the only way that two SSD drives can be selected is if RAID-0 is also selected (RAID-0 configuration, 2 drives will be striped and appear as one combined drive to the operating system).  And both SSD drives have to be the same size.

Otherwise, with RAID-0 not selected then only one drive can be SSD.  Any 2nd or 3rd storage is SATA HDD only.  There is no option to select a 2nd SSD and assign it a different drive letter.

What does this imply for upgrades?  Thoughts?

HP Recommended

When I remove the black cover over SSD2, the M.2 2280 slot has a piece of rubber taped to the Shire Motherboard that would prevent a SSD drive from being inserted into the slot.

shire ssd2.jpg

HP Recommended

This document claims that the M.2 expansion slot (SSD2) on the Omen Obelisk 875-1055xt is "available."

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA7-6292ENUC.pdf

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

speed.jpghi agine brusay

Are you say is not worth to install second ssd, because after I installed it and make test it give me high speed for ssd...

is there any dangerous for that to the pc after long time. 

can you tell me if you can see temp for main ssd in your pc?

HP Recommended

Unless you are keeping your PC in the freezer, there is no way that SSD1 is 0 degrees C.  For some reason, your software program is not picking up the temperature of SSD1 accurately or the drive health.   Try another software program to see if it can read the temp of SSD1.  Then you will know if it is just a software program issue.  Obviously, the drive is working.  I've heard that when some people have installed a 2nd SSD that they could no longer get a temp reading from the 1st SSD.  I can't remember what they did to fix it, but you can do a search.  I have a vague memory that they removed the 1st SSD from the motherboard and reinstalled it.  But don't quote me on that.  Perhaps some others here can chime in.

The temperature for SSD2 seems normal at 41 degrees C.  Typically, a SSD will run around 45-50 degrees C.  When in heavy use (ex. performance benchmark) an SSD will get up to 75-80 degrees C then cool back down to 45-50 degrees C after the test is complete.  My SSD1 is currently at 49 degrees C during normal use.

As far as the speed, each SSD looks like it is performing according to it own specifications.  SSD2 is a much, much faster drive than the one you have in SSD1.  SSD2 is suppose to run that fast!  Fast is good.  The 2TB Samsung 970 EVO is a higher performance drive.  The 256GB Samsung PM981 is more medium range.  You can check the manufacturer specification of both SSDs and see the difference between the two.

HP Recommended

Why no one from hp support answer these questions????

HP Recommended

It seems i just rush and i do big step by add this ssd

i will remove it today and i will factory reset the pc....

HP Recommended

The M.2 expansion slot (SSD2) on the Omen Obelisk 875-1055xt is indeed "available."  Adding a 2nd SSD was easy.

I removed the black cover over SSD2 and the rubber taped to the motherboard behind the cover.  I installed a 1TB Corsair MP510 NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 (M.2 2280) SSD into the SSD2 slot.  When I turned on the computer it booted for about 5 seconds then shutdown.  The computer then turned itself on again and booted normally to Windows 10 (no changes to the BIOS settings were needed).  I used 'Disk Management" to initialize and format the SSD.  I assigned it drive letter E.   Both the computer and new drive are running great.  No issues.  

HP Omen SSD2.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.