Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello Everyone

I'm looking for help with adding more memory for "Model: XL510AV HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC ", which is more commonly known as Compaq 8200 Elite Small Form Factor  PC, desktop computer.

This PC has 3 memory slots, 2 of them are empty.  The mem module that is currently occupying one of the slots is 4GB, the following label is attached on it " 4GB  2Rx8 PC3 - 10600U -9-10-B0 A".

I would very much appreciate some help to confirm if I can by the same module and install in one of the empty slots or I must but new modules in pair to replace what I have.

Also, if someone has any other advise on how to better upgrade the memory for this PC, for example, different module type in case there is faster memory, than please let me know.   The OS show 32bit,  and the processor is showing as x64 base processor i5-2400 CPU 3.1Ghz

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jaroslaw 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, Jaroslaw :

The PC should have 4 memory slots.  See page 11 of the quickspecs below.

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Series (itema-pg.com)

This is the memory I used in my HP 8200 Elite CMT.  Works great.

Patriot Signature 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model PSD34G13332 - Ne...

You will need to clean install W10 64 bit in order for Windows to use more than 4 GB of memory.

When you get to the part of the installation that asks for a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

You will need a PC with a 64 bit version of Windows to make the 64 bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

You should just be able to add the 4 GB chip in the empty slot.  You skip a slot where the primary chip is installed.

HP Recommended

Hello

Thank you kindly for the feedback.  Using the link, I completed the step of updating Windows and it's showing "32-bit operating system, x64-based processor", is this expected? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

No, you still have a 32 bit operating system installed.

You need to boot from the W10 64 bit installation media, clean install W10, and after the installation has completed, you should see:

System Type:  "64-bit operating system, x64-based processor"

Clean installing Windows 10 64 bit means that you will need to reinstall all of your programs and files.

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks, I understand now.  This will take more planning on my part, I will have to take inventory of what I want to reinstall after the clean install of Win10 64bit.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.