Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy TE01-1114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the Envy today at Best Buy.  It comes with a 512 GB SK hynix BC511 hard drive.  What I want to do is add my 512 SST Samsung SATA drive and make it the primary drive (C Drive) and have the existing drive become the secondary drive.  Geek Squad want over $300 to help me.  What is baffeling is finding the SK drive.  I realize I will need a harness to attach my SATA SST drive. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@RCinTexas 

Given the date of your post, I would have expected someone to respond to it before this -- but since that has not happened, I will take a shot at it ...

You are mistaken -- in that the hynix is an m.2 SSD, NOT a hard drive -- and since it is plugged directly into the motherboard, it is always going to be seen as the primary drive.

If you add another SSD and install Windows to it, you would then have to go into the UEFI settings and see if they will allow you to change to boot order of the SSDs to make your new one the boot drive.  If you can't do that, you can't make the new drive the primary drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.