Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 790-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought the 790-0020 pc and it comes with an M.2 256gb drive. I want to add a second SSD as a storage drive. I'm fine with the M.2 drive being used as the boot drive but would like the availability of extra storage. I know it uses the Berks motherboard. Other than the ssd, what other things (cbles and such) would I need to purchase to complete this? I've never built a computer and my knowledge of swapping harddrives is only with laptops in which it seemed more straightforward. However im not afraid to learn and try new things and would  appreciate the help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jralvarado,

Have you actually looked inside?

The motherboard look compatable with standard SATA data cables.  Since you do not have a physical hard drive ( you just have an M.2 SSD card,  your in luck!

The initial SATA power cable is an 8 pin (2x4) plug on the motherboard. Trace the cable, and you should find the unused SATA hard drive power plug.  If you continued following the power lead you should see it terminated at the DVD drive.  Then follow the DVD data cable back to the motherboard. You should see a spare SATA data header.

The hard drive bay can accomodate either a 3.5" or 2.5" SSD SATA hard drive (mounted in a 2.5" adapter tray).  The acutual mounting does require HP Blue Isolation screws.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192567803127?chn=ps

As for the choice, I like Samsung EVO SDD's.  As for size,  keep it simple at 1GB.

If you chose a mechanical hard drive, I like a WD 500 or 1 TB hard drive.  For simplicity, keep it at 2GB or less. Depending on a storage drive that is spinning 24/7 is like idling your car engine 24/7.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jralvarado,

Have you actually looked inside?

The motherboard look compatable with standard SATA data cables.  Since you do not have a physical hard drive ( you just have an M.2 SSD card,  your in luck!

The initial SATA power cable is an 8 pin (2x4) plug on the motherboard. Trace the cable, and you should find the unused SATA hard drive power plug.  If you continued following the power lead you should see it terminated at the DVD drive.  Then follow the DVD data cable back to the motherboard. You should see a spare SATA data header.

The hard drive bay can accomodate either a 3.5" or 2.5" SSD SATA hard drive (mounted in a 2.5" adapter tray).  The acutual mounting does require HP Blue Isolation screws.

https://www.ebay.com/i/192567803127?chn=ps

As for the choice, I like Samsung EVO SDD's.  As for size,  keep it simple at 1GB.

If you chose a mechanical hard drive, I like a WD 500 or 1 TB hard drive.  For simplicity, keep it at 2GB or less. Depending on a storage drive that is spinning 24/7 is like idling your car engine 24/7.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 Thank you! I had not opened it up because i did not know how to find what i needed, but your instructions worked. There is a free power and data cable under the dvd drive as you mentioned. Now i just need to buy the ssd and the screws, and adapter and i shoud be good to go. Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

@jralvarado,

It is nice to know your satisified. You said there was a free data cableNow that is good to know.   I will endeavor to keep that tidbit of information.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Yes, I followed the power from the DVD as you suggested and found a free power cable. Then I saw a blue data cable hanging under the bay . Pictures attached. Once I get the ssd I'll let you know if it truly works but the header on it is stamped hdd and its plugged in to the hdd 1 on the motherboard. Im guessing its there for the configurations that include both an M.2 drive and a HDD? Either way your instructions cleared up what i was looking for!

Cables 1.jpgCables 2.jpg

HP Recommended

@jralvarado,

Been answering severral questions on the Berks MB for several monthes.  Know it somewhat,  right.  I knew the a spare power plug HAD to be there because that is the way the cable is marketed.  The spare data cable was never a known !!! WOW !!!!

The real problems with that motherboard has been adding a 2nd hard drive.  The 2nd and 3rd hard drive get their power from a 2x3 header on the motherboard.  That 2x3 header is not a standard plug.  The power cable for that plug can not be ordered in the US.  In Europe it is 55-60 EUROS and take 4-6 weeks.

Several members on the forum had tried to make a cable by trimming down a similiar plug (PCIE 2x3), then wiring it to a Sata power plug.  NO one has reported back any success.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Followed your suggestion to the T, found the xtra SATA data cables, tucked under the DVD and M.2 SSD. Simply connected cables to Sandisk SSD 1Tb. Powered up the computer and it showed up on the SSD monitor app, runs smooth. The xtra cables were a surprise, saves having to wait for a 4 week order.  Thanks .👍

HP Recommended

@jralvarado 

I have filed this commentary away as a reference.  You sent excellent pictures.

@DLMl40,

Nice to know it also worked for you.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.