Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 550-154na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need extra USB ports suitable for external hard drives as all rear ports are now full.

Whilst a powered plug-in hub would do I'd prefer to install a USB3 card using the internal spare/available PCI Express x1 & a SATA power Y cable splitter if I can. Are there any speed, power &/or other implications please?

Are USB3 ports likely to operate at full speed?

And is the 180W internal power supply sufficient for those additional demands?

Thanks so much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This worked really well. An Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card slotted easily into the spare PCI x1 slot, powered through a 'Y' splitter cable. Took about 3 minutes, worked immediately, & perfoming great.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

TrevorMC

I have done both options on my desktop (installed PCie x1 USB 3.0 card and attached powered USB 3.0 hub) and have done some testing to verify that the transfer speeds are the same with both.  I though the hub might be slower than the PCIe card, but it is not.

Are you connecting USB 3.0 external drives? Because those get power from the USB 3.0 cable and don't need extra power cables.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

My current external drives have their own discrete power supplies but I'm wanting to learn & future-proof as I go along. Thanks so much. I'd best get hold of a card & see how it all goes over time.

HP Recommended

This worked really well. An Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card slotted easily into the spare PCI x1 slot, powered through a 'Y' splitter cable. Took about 3 minutes, worked immediately, & perfoming great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.