Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
27-xa0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I want to preface this by saying I know nothing about computers.  I have a HP AIO 27-xa0014.  My son really wants to play the new microsoft flight simulator game, but I need more memory.  It is my understanding that this computer has slots (m.2?) that I can add ssd to and increase my memory.  Should I use these slots or replace the original ssd.  If I add ssd (cards?) would it just expand the memory on the C drive?  Also,  where are the m.2 expansion slots?  I have found a vid on replacing the original ssd, but not on using the expansion slots.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @jesseCalla!

@jesseCalla wrote:

Thank you so much for the reply.  I appreciate your explanation of the difference between memory and storage.  I see that this computer may not be a great choice for a memory heavy game like FS.  However, I still have a storage problem.  I only have about 100 or so GB left on the installed M.2.  My main question is should I replace this one or add more storage in the "M.2 expansion slots"?  I am also curious as to the location of the expansion slots.  Apparently there are two of them, but I don't know where they are. 

Thanks again,

JC

I obviously didn't fully understand your post.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page for the AIO: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-all-in-one-pc-27-xa0000i/23302616/model/27090308/do...

You can look at the motherboard diagram to see where the M.2 socket is located.  It is on the lower left-facing bottom.  When you open the case it may not be immediately visible because of other components.

If you look at the section titled "Expansion slots" it does state that there are two M.2 sockets: One M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN and One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD.  The one for the Wireless LAN can not be used for a M.2, SSD.  Therefore, you will have to replace the original M.2.  Another solution would be to buy a USB External Hard Drive to use for storage.  You could transfer much of the data to it.  This would be the easiest way to go.  You wouldn't have to open the computer.  I actually use two USB hard drives and several USB thumb drives of different sizes for storage.

If you decide to replace the M.2 with one that is larger you can clone the original to the new one.  It would require a USB adapter to do so: https://www.newegg.com/orico-tcm2-c3-bk-bp-enclosure/p/0VN-0003-001D8?Description=usb%20m.2%20adapte...

You would install the new M.2 into the adapter.  Once it is connected to the computer, you will install a cloning software on the original M.2 and run it.  It will ask for the Target Drive and you would choose the new M.2 connected with the adapter.

The current M.2 is 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD.  Since it is NVMe it is a M-Key type the same as the adapter in my link.  If you look towards the bottom of the page in the link that I provided for Crucial Memory, they have recommended several M.2, as well.  Crucial is the retail division of Micron Corporation.  They are one of three major chip manufacturers.  Their products are very good quality.  If you have questions about any of their products, you can contact their Tech Support for help.  They have always been very helpful.

I know this is a lot of information, but it is necessary to explain the situation.

Good luck!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@jesseCalla , welcome to the Community.

First, before we begin, I will try to help you understand computer components.  The memory or RAM (Random Access Memory) is used to store information while you are working on the computer.  When you turn the computer off everything in the memory is lost.  The M.2, SSD (Solid-State Drive) is used for storage.  It stores the Operating System (OS), all of your apps and games.  They are remain in storage when you turn off the computer.

There is already a 256 GB, M.2, installed in the computer.  What you want to increase is the memory.  The computer came with 12 GB of memory (1x4 GB and 1x8 GB).  The maximum memory that can be installed is 16 GB (2x8 GB).  This means that you would have to remove the existing memory and replace it with two new modules of 8 GB each.

Truthfully, I am not certain that this increase in memory will make FS run any better.  It is a very memory intensive game.  If you still want to upgrade the memory you should go to Crucial Memory's website for help: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-27-xa0014-all-in-one

The website states that the maximum memory is 32 GB.  However, you should go by the maximum 16 GB stated by HP.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the reply.  I appreciate your explanation of the difference between memory and storage.  I see that this computer may not be a great choice for a memory heavy game like FS.  However, I still have a storage problem.  I only have about 100 or so GB left on the installed M.2.  My main question is should I replace this one or add more storage in the "M.2 expansion slots"?  I am also curious as to the location of the expansion slots.  Apparently there are two of them, but I don't know where they are. 

Thanks again,

JC

HP Recommended

@jesseCalla wrote:

Thanks again,

JC

I obviously didn't fully understand your post.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page for the AIO: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-all-in-one-pc-27-xa0000i/23302616/model/27090308/do...

You can look at the motherboard diagram to see where the M.2 socket is located.  It is on the lower left-facing bottom.  When you open the case it may not be immediately visible because of other components.

If you look at the section titled "Expansion slots" it does state that there are two M.2 sockets: One M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN and One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD.  The one for the Wireless LAN can not be used for a M.2, SSD.  Therefore, you will have to replace the original M.2.  Another solution would be to buy a USB External Hard Drive to use for storage.  You could transfer much of the data to it.  This would be the easiest way to go.  You wouldn't have to open the computer.  I actually use two USB hard drives and several USB thumb drives of different sizes for storage.

If you decide to replace the M.2 with one that is larger you can clone the original to the new one.  It would require a USB adapter to do so: https://www.newegg.com/orico-tcm2-c3-bk-bp-enclosure/p/0VN-0003-001D8?Description=usb%20m.2%20adapte...

You would install the new M.2 into the adapter.  Once it is connected to the computer, you will install a cloning software on the original M.2 and run it.  It will ask for the Target Drive and you would choose the new M.2 connected with the adapter.

The current M.2 is 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD.  Since it is NVMe it is a M-Key type the same as the adapter in my link.  If you look towards the bottom of the page in the link that I provided for Crucial Memory, they have recommended several M.2, as well.  Crucial is the retail division of Micron Corporation.  They are one of three major chip manufacturers.  Their products are very good quality.  If you have questions about any of their products, you can contact their Tech Support for help.  They have always been very helpful.

I know this is a lot of information, but it is necessary to explain the situation.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I really appreciate the thoroughness of your reply.  So, to clarify there is only one m.2 slot for ssd storage on the motherboard and it is the one that is currently in use?  I was confused by the "expansion" terminology as it would seem to indicate additional m.2 ssd slots.  Thanks you so much for clarifying and for the information on the cloning tool.

Many thanks,

JC

HP Recommended

@jesseCalla wrote:

I really appreciate the thoroughness of your reply.  So, to clarify there is only one m.2 slot for ssd storage on the motherboard and it is the one that is currently in use?  I was confused by the "expansion" terminology as it would seem to indicate additional m.2 ssd slots.  Thanks you so much for clarifying and for the information on the cloning tool.

Many thanks,

JC

Yes, this is correct!  I am always glad to help.

Good luck!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.