Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop 795-0137cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
HP Envy Desktop 795-0137cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0137cb  Product # 5QA55AA
Current configuration:   Single SATA hard drive installed.  400W power supply

I would like to add a second internal SATA HDD to my system.  I see that the Berks motherboard has connectors for the  power and for the data connections.   
  • There are blue and yellow data connectors for data labelled HDD2 and HDD3 that are empty.
  • There is a single black 6 pin connector labelled SATA power that is currently empty.

Questions:

• Is the power supply sufficient to add a second drive?
  • What cable would I need to go from the SATA Power to the hard drive?
  • Also, is it a safe option to add a splitter cable and tap off of the current power cable that is attached to my installed drive?

Thanks!SATA power.jpgHDD data connections.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, you can in effect install a second hard drive, you just need to check in your case if you have an emplacement for install it. 

An hard drive need a very little quantity of energy, so you don't need a more capacity in your power supply. You just need check if you have a free SATA port on your power supply, however you need to buy an adapter, and connect your drive in the SATA2 port (or SATA3) on your motherboard with a SATA cable same this: 

Insignia™ - 2' Right-Angle Serial ATA 2.0 Cable - Black

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

@StompIt,

@Fanordi, gave you some good advice.  However, I just wanted to add that you have "One M.2 socket 3, key M" available on the motherboard.  A M.2, SSD, could be used for the boot drive and the current HDD could be used for storage.  This would improve system performance considerably.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page for the computer.  Look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" for this information.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to help you with installation of a SSD.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I already have an M.2 NVME SSD installed.  I just wanted to add a 2nd SATA hard drive.

My main question:   Which power cable to I need to get from the SATA Power (3x2) plug on the motherboard to the 2nd hard drive?

Thanks

HP Recommended

You don't need had any other connector into your power supply and your motherboard.

If I have been answer to your question please accept it as a solution 🙂
I am Expert from French Community, and I am doing my best to help you with your question.

HP Recommended

@StompIt,

OK here we go again. Rather than post the answer, I shall post the LINK.

The cable is about 56 USD, ordered from EU vendors. 

There are pictures, discussion,, and someone actually modified and built a cable.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I saw those posts. 

I just wanted to ensure that the  L22273-001 cable is the only choice.   I wont be making my own cable.

Hoping for a reasonably priced aftermarket solution.  

thanks for the quick responses!

HP Recommended

Looks like we're in the same pickle, Stomplt. looks like L22275-001, L22274-001 are numbers I've found. HP service claimed that they expect to get more in, but no date or estimated ETA to my knowledge. L22273-001 is a new one to me. Do you have a pic of it?

HP Recommended

@jrhtrader,

If you would view all of the link I sent, it displays the L22273-001 cable.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.