Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy Desktop 795-0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently bought an ENVY 795-0050 desktop which comes with 16 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB).  There are 4 DIMM slots, and I understood HP email support to say I could put two 16 GB DIMMs in the empty slots, and they would work with the 8 GB DIMMs that are currently installed (so all don't have to be the same size).  Has that worked for other people?

How would I find out which 16 GB DIMMs are compatible?  I tried the Amazon partfinder, and it only showed SSD drives - perhaps because the computer hasn't been added to their DIMM database yet?

Also, I'm guessing that the 2666 in the name of the memory I have is the speed - does all the memory need to be the same speed?

Thanks for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can do what you want to do.

Memory only needs to be in matched capacities in the two slots not populated.

Could be 2 x 16 + 2 x 8, 2 x 8 + 2 x 4...whatever.

I have zipped up and attached below, a free utility that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the memory in your PC.

Then you can purchase memory that has the same speed and timing specs.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul!  It looks as if that might help once I have my new computer set up, but I had been hoping I'd be able to buy and install the extra memory before putting the computer under my desk where I can connect it to the monitor.  I'll look at it again a little later and see if I can find a way to put in a model or serial number and have it look for the specs from that, if what was listed as specs for the memory on the site isn't all I need to know.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

From the specs on the site and the info printed on the box, it appears that the DIMMs that come with the computer are 2666 Mhz (Speed: PC4-21300 MB/s, Type: DDR4-2666). 

From what I've read, it appears that I could buy faster DIMMs, but they would only run at 2666 Mhz unless I replace the two DIMMs that are there now, which would cost more than I'm willing to spend.  It also sounds as if it wouldn't make that much difference for at least most of what I do on the computer.  I usually have several applications open at once, am sometimes logged into wildlife cams remotely to control them, am sometimes recording video from them while controlling them - and posting updates to our organization's website while all that is happening.  Once I add a pair of 16GB DIMMs to the new computer, I'll have a lot more RAM, and I think that will help windows open faster and save faster.  Does that all make sense, or is there a major flaw in my reasoning?

Hopefully the final question - I found these DIMMs on Amazon - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4-21300) C16 Memory Kit - and they seem to match everything I could find to check.  The only thing I'm not sure about is if this computer is considered intel 300 series - I think it is, and the DIMMs say they are compatible with that - but I'm not sure if that's enough.  Amazon's partfinder can't tell if the DIMMs will fit my computer - but their link to show all the parts that will fit don't include any DIMMs, so either this model computer is too new for them to have checked whether the DIMMs will fit - or it's too non-standard for any DIMMs they sell to work with it.  I'm guessing they haven't checked the computer - but I don't know how to confirm that.  Comments on the Amazon site said it might only work if you removed the current memory, but didn't say what might be different.  And the specs don't say what brand of memory is there now.  (Note: I'm not committed to the DIMMs I mentioned - the brand had some good comments on the forums I've been reading to try to understand how this works, so I'm using them as an example.)

Thanks so much for your help (and patience!) - it would be a lot easier for those of us who don't know a lot about hardware if HP would sell compatible DIMMs. 🙂

HP Recommended

I'm finally trying to get this done - have watched several videos, looked inside, and used the utility and still have a question.  The two DIMMs that came with the computer are in slots 0 and 2 (per the utility), and there are two empty slots (presumably 1 and 3).  The first reply here said I could put my two new DIMMs in the two empty slots - but the video said that paired slots were usually color coded - and there are two black slots next to each other and then two blue slots, and the existing memory is in one of each.  Should I move one of the existing 8 GB DIMMs so they're both in the same color slots, then use the remaining slots which will then both be the same color for my two new 16 GB DIMMs?  Or is it really OK to have one of each in the black slots and one of each in the blue slots?  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.